Kabanata 35

Kabanata 35

Safety

Big crimson letters across the headline of a certain tabloid irritated me. I've been sitting inside this cozy coffee shop near the network. I was actually waiting for my friends to show up. I recently just got off on the phone with Castiel, I was already irritated with how he scheduled our date in a fancy restaurant somewhere in BGC.

He sure did like to take control, huh?

Nadagdagan lang talaga ang inis ko nang makita ang mga headline sa tabloid. May nagbabasa pa ba ng diyaryo? May mga naniniwala pa ba sa mga chismis na nasa tabloid?

Madeus Ortega, guilty of graft and corruption? Ano pa nga ba ang aasahan natin?

This is not the first time I saw things like this about my parents. They are public figure—servants to be exact. They expected that. I expected that. Kaya lang, hindi ko pa rin maiwasang hindi mairita.

Baseless accusations, rumors, and trial by publicity are three of the things that irk me so much. It can fuel my anger, but I have never let it win against me. I know better than to believe all the lies that the media feeds us. Only a fool will believe without fact-checking and doing his/her own research. We have to know better. Huwag maging inutil.

Wala pa ngang hatol ang korte, wala pa ngang imbestigasyon, heto sila't mayroon ng sariling konklusyon. At ang mga hangal at inutil ay maniniwala kaagad.

The media already corrupted a lot of things in this generation: the past, the present, the future, and the truth. They painted a certain picture and representation of someone based on what he/she did, their achievements, money, fame, and connections. They don't care if they'll ruin you as long as they gain attention, profit, and popularity. I hate that the real purpose of the media is tainted and ruined due to self-interest and other selfish, cruel reasons.

A person's reputation can be easily ruined by creating a widespread perception without concrete evidence, and without a proper verdict of the law.

Kung gusto lang din nilang sila ang maghatol, bakit hindi na lang sila nag judge?

"Umuusok ilong mo ah? Ano? Inaway ka ba ni Castiel?" Ngumisi sa akin si Flash.

Umirap ako at hindi siya pinansin. It's been months since I started going out with Castiel. Kagaya ng sabi ko, that man is a beast. He's so sure of himself. He's an alpha, but someone like him won't howl to a moon. He's nice to me. He gives me importance, but I know he's only doing that out of courtesy, because that's what I'm doing too.

Gusto ko na ngang umayaw sa arrangement namin kasi pakiramdam ko, ayaw niya rin.

"How are things with you?" Flash smirked. Pinaglaruan niya ang labi at ngumisi lalo nang sinulyapan ko siya.

"Fine,"

"With Castiel?"

"He's fine, Flash." I sighed, a bit annoyed. Bakit ba kasi ang daldal at ang chismoso ng isang 'to? Bakit ibang-iba siya sa kapatid niya at sa bestfriend niyang si Rivan?

"What's with the sigh? Parang ayaw na ayaw mo akong kausap ah?"

"Why are you here in Manila anyway? It's been a year since you went home. Hindi ka ba hinahanap sa California?"

"Wala lang,"

Umirap ako. "Can't you find a girlfriend? Kaya love life ko ang pinagdidiskitahan mo?"

He groaned. "Damn, Lei. I can get any girl I want. Kahit nga ikaw eh-"

"Hindi mo ako makukuha."