Wanda

Wanda...was very different from the others.

She'd taken a casita at a picturesque resort in the mountains that had been a hideaway for movie stars and all kinds of celebrities and politicians back in the day, as they say. The casitas were sumptuous, spacious and set well apart from the main hotel which made them perfect for extramarital trysts or other couplings that might have been frowned upon at that time.

She greeted me at the door looking somewhat fidgety and uncomfortable in an expensive, pearl white negligee. And as soon as we walked in, she showed me the champagne and appetizers she'd ordered. It was a very expensive gesture that worried me a bit...

Especially when she said, "Clint—I'm usually with Clint. And he likes to have...he likes the food here."

There was no rule against "gifts" of that sort, but I suspected he might have encouraged this lavishness more for his own enjoyment than hers. As a sort of "reward" for bothering at all...

So I said, "They have a remarkable menu—award-winning, I believe."

She touched her hair and smiled uneasily, perhaps because it looked as if she'd used a curling iron but forgotten or not had time to brush out the curls created.

She was, as I said earlier, a rather plain woman. And I sensed that knowing this, or being forced to know it, had made her the sort that rushed from restrooms without looking at the mirror. Having endured the frowns of the other women primping in those mirrors for most of her life.

I notice those women. Women who flinch when they see themselves in a window or some other reflective surface. Or when I smile at them as I pass...

She smiled at me, though. Very faintly. And said, "You're...very young."

"Bad or good?"

She smiled a bit more and said, "I'm just...Well, I'm not young. And even when I was...men like you...I mean, I don't think guys like you even saw me, back when I was your age. Men have never really..."

The smile faded and she bit her lip and shrugged. So I smiled. And went over to touch her face—a test of sorts. And got the wince I feared I might.

So I said, "Well, I'm game if you are, Wanda. And you've gone to so much trouble..."

She paused there, fidgeting with the strings on her peignoir. And then said, "I just...they have these...special menus for two so I just choose one. And it's always things I've never seen before in my life, but..."

That explained why she seemed a wee bit unsure how to handle some of the things she'd ordered. So I sat us down and whenever she hesitated, I chose the same dish and let her follow my lead.