Zaddy's kids

The boy's forearm looked like a damned football it was so swollen

The boy's forearm looked like a damned football it was so swollen. All blue black with this big yellow lump in the middle that looked like it was going to burst open and spew something nasty any minute—smelled, too.

"I'ma call you Popeye, dude," was Manny's way of dealing with it.

I could hardly look at it myself. And it'd obviously scared him pretty damned bad, too, since he'd wrapped it all up in gauze and Ace bandages—desperate denial, bruh. Even worse than me and my NuvaRing thing.

"I fell," was the only explanation he gave at first.

The nurse grimaced. "Did a bone pop out or..."

"I don't...I didn't see anything. It just started to swell up a lot, so I just...I wrapped it up."

She leaned in for a closer look—I don't know how—and said, "Well, if it goes septic—"

He looked past her and snapped, "Oh, perfect--who told you?"

And I turned and saw Zaddy's girl in the doorway. You remember: the girl I saw in the parking lot with her hot Papi that day. She looked like she'd just stepped off the front page of Seventeen or something. Child must've gotten up at four in the morning everyday to get herself that together.

She smirked and said, "Everybody told me--what'd you do?"

"Who's this?" the nurse asked.

And pretty girl said, "I'm his sister. Riley," and then covered her nose and mouth with a hand and cried, "Oh my God, what happened?"

"You wanna call your parents while I try to figure out what's going on here?" the nurse said.

Ray barked, "What are you gonna do? Gimme a coupla Tylenol?"

Riley rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, for Chrissake, they're just trying to help you--how the hell did you do this?"

"Does it matter?"

"Were you drunk?"

"What the fuck?!"

"Oh, right, well Mike's gonna ask. So you'd better get your story straight."

"I'm not going back! And I'm not going to that other place either!"

Riley sighed and fished a cell from a pocket. "I'm calling mom."

Ray rolled his eyes and smirked. "Good luck with that! She's locked down for another week."