002 ━ showered hopes

≻───── ⋆TWO⋆ ─────≺

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐘 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐒. We ate a small breakfast, mostly what we didn't finish the night before between our beans and peaches. I tried not to watch as the man bent over, cautious of his gun shot wound, to tie his shoes. I was worried he would end up being a liability but the fact that he was a sheriff's deputy made me feel better.

He knew how to use a gun. Properly.

There weren't a lot of people in this world that knew how to handle one properly and the fact that I'd found myself with the one guy who was trained how was a nice bout of luck for me. And I wasn't a lucky person.

I learned, later that night, that his name was Rick Grimes. The name rolled off my tongue smoothly, like a secret or like a little treat just for myself. I also learned, unfortunately for me, that he had a wife. He had someone worried about him. 

Or, he had someone thinking he was dead. 

Has she moved on yet? Has she forgotten all about her super hero husband for someone else? Someone who protects her and her son from the undead with their bloody teeth and gory hands?

Morgan opened the front door as I adjusted my shirt and fixed my gun in my waistband. Rick walked out with him, still slightly confused as he asked us, "Are you sure they're dead? I have to ask, at least one more time."

"They're dead," Morgan told him before tapping the side of his head. "Except for one part in the brain."

"That's why we aim for the head," I said, swinging my little knife through the air like the blade from Psycho. "Always go for the brain."

The man was carrying a baseball bat, the handle gripped tightly. Even as he slowly walked out, he didn't seem confident. I wouldn't either if I had a nasty gun shot wound in my side but even then, I'd be looking better then he did right now with the suspicious fearful look spread across his face. I looked down at a walker leaning against the fencing outside the house, it was moaning loudly enough to get all of our attention. It looked at us before slowly rising it its feet. Rick, who was sporting a face mask, went after the walker with a little more pep in his step than I expected. He slammed the bat into the walkers head repeatedly until it fell. 

Rick fell to his knees seconds after, dropping the bat to the side as he heaved in deep breaths. I came up beside him, staring down at the walker before raising my knife and sending it down into the nearly cracked skull just for good measure. You could never be so sure with them. I'd seen Scream when I was younger, I knew what happened if you didn't check to see if they were dead first before walking away. I pulled the blade free, hearing a sickening pop before wiping the blood off on the grass to avoid the sticky goo crusting against the metal.