009 ━ highway blues

≻───── ⋆NINE⋆ ─────≺

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐒𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐀 𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊, needing refueling and to stretch our legs. I was stiff, keeping my legs pulled to my chest to rest against the door to close my eyes just for a few moments. The C.D.C. had blown up and we had nearly been inside when it happened, I needed a second to recuperate and forget the almost trauma.

It was hard to imagine Jacqui and even Jenner reduced to ash somewhere beneath all that rubble and I saw the flames licking up their bodies every time I closed my eyes. I understand that in mere time, maybe even tomorrow, it would all fade from my mind, but for now it was stuck inside me like glue. 

When the cars finally parked, I peered out the window through nearly shut eyes. We were shielded by trees near a gas station and I knew the rest of the journey would never be the same after this. I opened the car door, slipping out and feeling the strain in my legs from being curled up for so long. I raised my arms above my head, bending back just slightly to stretch, feeling the tendons pull just perfectly.

I watched Daryl get out from his truck, slinging his crossbow over his shoulder as he headed to the RV. He was handed one of the gasoline tanks, the other given to T-Dog. There was a weariness in everyone, like the events of Jenner were just now truly settling.

"I think we should head for Fort Benning," said Rick, glancing at Shane who leaned against his Jeep. 

I frowned, moving closer to the little group huddled by their cars. "You really think that's a good idea?" 

"You don't?" asked Shane and I shook my head.

"It's like we've all talked about before," I murmured. "After the cities, the military bases were the next to fall. It's common sense. Where do you think all those city folk went runnin' to the second the outbreak started getting serious?"

"What else are we supposed to do then?" said Rick, his glare piercing. He didn't like that I had so much to say, that he knew I was smarter than him. He was desperate for another win, desperate for something to give us. "We can't just stay here in our cars, we got to go somewhere."

"Fort Benning, is what? Hundred twenty-five miles out from us?" I said, hands on my hips, my fingers splaying across the blade of my ax. "Even if we stock up on gas here, it'll only get us so far. The highways, Rick, how the hell are we going to get through them?"

His brows furrowed, everyone's did. "What do you mean?"

Did they not realize? Did they not see it for themselves when they ran to their quarry? The C.D.C. had fogged their memories, the blast had killed all sense of hope and realization.