004 ━ some reunions just aren't sweet, honey

≻───── ⋆FOUR⋆ ─────≺

𝐈𝐓 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐋 we saw the box truck come up behind us on the highway. We slowed just enough for them to see us before I stuck my head out the window and saw Rick behind the wheel. I stuck my tongue out at him and held up my middle finger before Glenn pressed on the gas so hard the tires squealed as he shouted something between the lines of "hell yeah" and "woohoo!"

Glenn took us further down the highway until we got off at an exit I didn't recognize. He pulled off onto a small dirt road, slowing the car down significantly as we bounded over rock and thick gravel.

I didn't recognize the area, but I didn't expect myself too. I'd only ever ventured out so far during my time in Atlanta and then when I went to college and then, well, I met Him. I'd lived in a small apartment in Virginia, one that I thought we had shared together if not for the frequent nights and days he spent away. I'd assumed, stupidly, it was because of his job but did I even know what he did, honestly? 

I let my thoughts of Him drift away as the car slowed even more as we neared a clearing. Right off the bat, I could see an RV and few other cars and tents. At the sound of the car, people began to stir within the camp and once Glenn stopped the car and turned it off, there was a small group of people standing before us. At the sight of all of them, it made my heart skip a nervous beat. I'd been alone for majority of the downfall and in the matter of two days I'd found myself with more people than I'd care to be around but I knew that this would keep me safe, even though it made my heart and gut heavy.

Glenn jumped got out of the car as a man approached us with a rifle slung over his shoulder. Glenn grinned as I slowly opened my door and got out, leaning against the door because I didn't know these people. I didn't know who they were and what they were capable of, which was probably what they were thinking of me too. I needed Rick at my side, he would be a stranger beside me, he'd know what I was feeling and he was better with people. 

"The other's are coming up soon," reassured Glenn. "We're all safe!"

An older man with a bucket hat on his head and wearing an old Hawaiian button up came to stand besides the man with the gun. "Where'd you find this car, son? It's in one hell of a good condition."

Glenn jerked his thumb back and pointed at me. "Sam found it, wicked cool right?" He glanced back at me and offered a small smile as if to tell me this was okay, these people would protect me. "She saved our asses back there, same with her friend, Officer Friendly."

"Officer Friendly?" asked the first man with the gun. I felt his eyes go to me and I stared back unblinking. He was trying to intimidate me but I refused to allow him that satisfaction of my eyes drifting away. I'd stared down too many horrible men to back away from one now. He was handsome, though, I'd admit it. He had a full head of brown hair and a sharp jaw to match his sharper eyes. If I wasn't mistaken, I'd guess he was a cop just like Rick was. He wore a dark button up that he left the first four buttons undone to reveal a broad chest and dark chest hair. He was sweating, as everyone was, but he made it look hot in this terrible rugged way that made something in my gut spin.