Alone on Cloud 9 (8)

So I've decided that there just aren't enough hours in the day. This chapter had been almost done over the weekend but the second school started I didn't even have time to look at it. On top of that I've had piles of work and been sick but I do love this chapter so I hope it ends up being worth the wait. Thanks for putting up with my terrible uploading delays. 

You can now find me on Facebook, look for Celia Rhodes, or join the group xoStardust

Comment and Vote?

Cheers,

xo.

**************************************************

"There are certain people who come into your life, and leave a mark. I'm talking about the ones who, for whatever reason, are as much a part of you as your own soul. Their place in your heart is tender; a bruise of longing, a pulse of unfinished business. Just hearing their names pushes and pulls at you in a hundred ways, and when you try to define those hundred ways, describe them even to yourself, words are useless. If you had a lifetime to talk, there would still be things left unsaid." 

-Sweethearts

Chapter 8               Grade 12

May 1

"I can't believe the nerve of him!"

"I know"

"Seriously, how can he just waltz in here everyday like he owns the place?" Grace fumed from across the counter. 

She crossed her arms over her chest and leveled a glare at the back of his head, letting out a huff of indignation. 

"Because everyone lets him. Look at the way they all keep glancing over in his direction, just what are they waiting for? Whatever it is, it's hardly worth it. I would know." I said bitterly.

I realized I had been angrily scrubbing the counter in the same spot for the last few minutes and tossed the rag aside with a sigh.

He'd been back now for a week, and like clockwork showed up minutes after my shift started at the cafe. 

I didn't know what his game was, what he was trying to prove, but if he was trying to get to me, it was working. 

The first day should have been the hardest, but every day since had been like falling repeatedly on a bruise; initially it felt worse and then it just got numb. 

"I just wish there was something I could do,” She said with a sigh. "Maybe I could go find that baseball bat…?"

I laughed and shook my head, though in reality I'd already had that visual image several times.

"He's not worth it, and besides I can't let anything happen here, I need this job"

Unfortunately, it was something Michael had caught on to. He knew I wouldn’t let my anger get the best of me here. 

He knew he could damn well get away with anything. 

But it was all under the radar. 

For better or worse, Moonbeams had somehow become neutral ground. 

The incredulous looks he'd received the first day had been happening with less frequency, people were getting used to his being back in town, which may have been what he wanted all along. 

But always, always, when he approached the counter for his increasingly specific coffee orders we would have an audience. 

Eyes greedy for drama watched the exchange, waiting for the confrontation.