Alone on Cloud 9 (17)

Comment and Vote?

Cheers,

xo.

**************************************************

Chapter 17                  Grade 12

May

"I believe if there's any kind of God it wouldn't be in any of us, not you or me but just this little space in between. If there's any kind of magic in this world it must be in the attempt of understanding someone, sharing something. I know, it's almost impossible to succeed but who cares really? The answer must be in the attempt. "

-Before Sunrise

“This is the one.”

Grace gazed into the mirror with a look of complete wonder on her face, twirling back and forth with handfuls of silky material clutched in her hands. It was adorable the first time, now, not so much.

“Really Grace? Because you’ve said that about the last thirteen dresses you’ve tried on.”

“No seriously, this is the one.” I impatiently got up from my seat and turned over the price tag attached to the zipper.

“It also costs more than your next three years worth of university tuition.”

“Oh.” Her face fell into a slight frown and she wondered back into the change room to try on the other four dresses she’d picked out that would no doubt also be ‘the one’.

“Maybe if you actually tried something on you wouldn’t be so bored.” She called from inside.

“What’s the big deal? We’ll be wearing our grad gowns overtop, no one will be able to see your dress anyway.”

She pushed open the door and gave me an exasperated look. “It’s for after the ceremony obviously. You know we’ll be keeping these pictures for the rest of our lives? It’s like getting married.”

“This is nothing like getting married Grace.”

“Hello? We walk down an aisle, we get a diploma, it’s a once in a life time thing here Arya.”

With an exaggerated roll of the eyes at my obvious skepticism she strutted in front of the mirror and let out a quiet gasp.

“Oh my god, this is totally—“

“The one?”

I dodged the sparkly pink purse that came flying towards my head and heard it hit the floor with a loud thud.

One of the sales ladies gave us an annoyed look and Grace blushed red as she rushed around the chair I was sitting on and picked up the purse, yelling out a very unconvincing ‘it slipped’.