Alone on Cloud 9 (14)

Hands down the hardest chapter to write, but it should give you something to think about, lets just say you’re about to find out the motivation for the Incident…

On a completely unrelated note I saw the Wicked musical last night and I think I'll be star struck for days, so amazing!

Comment and Vote?

Cheers,

xo.

**************************************************

"My thoughts about the world were shaken. Like driving along a bumpy road and losing control of the steering wheel, tossing you, just a tad, off the road. The wheels kick up some dirt, but you're able to pull it back. Yet no matter how tightly you grip the wheel, no matter how hard you try to drive straight, something keeps jerking you to the side. You have so little control over anything anymore. And at some point, the struggle becomes too much, too tiring, and you consider letting go. Allowing tragedy… or whatever to happen.

-Thirteen Reasons Why

Chapter 14                  Grade 12

May 8

It was one of those perfect calm nights. The weather was warm without being humid and settled around you like a blanket, the air was light with only faint wisps of a breeze. The sun was setting lazily, burning the horizon a rusty orange and metallic pink, and inside Moonbeams everyone seemed ready to doze off to the sounds of soft music drifting through the speakers and the heady smell of hot chocolate you could practically taste in the air.

All we need now are chestnuts roasting on an open fire. I thought sarcastically.

“Will you quit glaring? You’re scaring our customers.”

“I’m not glaring.”

“Well than can you stop frowning murderously? You’re—“

I whirled around and tossed the dishrag I was using at Charlie, cutting off whatever he was about to say.

Well, that’s just rude.” He said, putting a hand over his heart.

“Sorry, I’m just a little on edge.”

“Clearly.”

I picked up another rag to throw at him but instead it hit the door just as he passed through and with a sigh I picked up my tray of freshly washed mugs and followed him out.

It really had been the perfect night, right up until ten minutes ago when the doors slammed open to the smirking face of Michael Conner. He’d flashed me a lazy grin and sauntered off to his table, leaving his friends at the doorway. Tyler waved cheerfully at me, as if we’d known each other forever, and Ben raised his hand in greeting before trailing after his friends, bobbing his head along to a beat only he seemed to hear.

It’s not like his being here was any surprise or even out of the ordinary, I hadn’t exactly been able to forget my Michael free weekend was over, but I also didn’t forget the argument I’d overheard before he left. Really it was just a matter of how long he’d be content not annoying me, and I wanted to get the confrontation over with.