three

Our marriage was quick, and a few signatures later I was finally a couple hundred million richer. My trust could stop hanging over my head after ten years, just eleven days before its dissolution.

"So, what's the first thing you wish to do as a newly married woman?" Trystan questions, shifting his eyes to look into my own.

"I'm planning on visiting my lawyer's office to ensure that I receive control over my trust. After all, that's the reason we're both here." I look away, my awaiting carriage ahead of me. His carriage has been placed next to my own, our horses nuzzling each other with affection. I suppress my bubbling humor at the fact that the horses seem more like a married couple over the two of us, walking feet apart.

"I wish you luck, dear wife. I shall head to work then?" He also turns away, the leaf-littered ground catching his attention.

"Enjoy." I don't add to my sentiment because I find there's nothing else to say.

"I'm sure my colleagues will be glad to know their last bachelor friend has settled down." I laugh at that, which takes him by surprise.

"I'm sure they'll think I'm a myth you've made up. If they start leading you to a hospital, do send me a message. I'd rather not have people believe that I've married a lunatic." He smiles in response, one that I haven't truly seen in twenty years.

"Ah, but I think they'd believe you made me into a lunatic. I was provably quite sane prior to your arrival at my house four days ago."

I raise an eyebrow, unimpressed. "Describing you as sane might be pushing the bounds of reality."

"That's only because you're actually acquainted with me." He ends his statement with a wink and reaches his hand out for me. We've arrived at our carriages and he seems to believe that I either desire or require his hand to mount my own transportation. I wrap my hand around the bar near the door instead and hoist myself in. Once I've steadied myself, I turn back to face him.

"I'll send word once I know for certain the fate of my trust. I have a number of investments lined up to help increase our fortunes."

He looks up at me, before finally withdrawing his hand. "Wonderful. But you don't need to keep me updated on finances. I've never really had the head for money."

"All right. I'll see you later then." He begins to head towards his own carriage. "And Trystan?"

He glances back, confusion in his eyes.

"Leave that eyesore of a couch at your parents'."