five

Trystan saunters into the parlor room later in the day, vest unbuttoned and a tie hanging loosely around his neck. He finds me easily, still situated on the sofa.

Clearing his throat, he announces, "Okay then, dear wife. I'm heading out for a night with the boys." Lie. I don't call him out on it.

He buttons the straggling buttons on his vest, throwing a coat over his shoulders after completion. My legs are spread across the sofa, and I make no effort to move as he hurries through his departure.

"I've acquired another carriage and carriage driver for your needs. I don't want to overwork Henry." I skirt the truth, choosing my words carefully. This carriage isn't affiliated with me and therefore is able to transport him to any of his raunchy destinations without any social issues.

He tilts his lips into a small smile. I can't tell if he believes my lie. "That's very much appreciated."

"Who are you meeting?" I ask him just to hear his response.

"Colleagues from work. You wouldn't know them," he answers dismissively. Another lie.

I purse my lips but continue thumbing through the album I have laying on my lap. "Enjoy, then."

I flip to a page pasted with photographs of my old house. I beam in a white sundress, happy in front of a large house, my mom standing to my right and my dad standing to my left. Trystan takes my diverted attention as a cue to leave, and I can tell he's gone when I hear the front door slam shut.

I hadn't expected commitment from Trystan but I had hoped for some level of discretion. And planning on taking the house carriage to meet Mrs. Thorpe at night unaccompanied was not fulfilling those requirements.

For now, I'd cover for him, but if it became a problem, confrontation would be the only solution. Affairs were common in our city, a source of entertainment for both those involved and those not. Yet, even the most dysfunctional of relationships held on to a honeymoon period of a month or two. We had a few more weeks of secrets in order to keep our facade alive.

This entire situation incited an ache inside my mind. I didn't mind the affair — it would be quite hypocritical for me to do so — I just wished he would be more creative with his lies.