Chapter Nine - Desperate Times

After saving Kadic Academy, Batman follows the Ion Cortex's signal. As he reaches the source of the signal, he sees the group of XANA's Polymorphic Spectres making their way to the Factory. Without hesitation, Batman grabs some smoke bombs from his Utility Belt and throws it at the Spectres. As smoke engulfed the area, Batman glides to the Polymorphic Spectres and attacked them. The Spectres were able to quickly counter Batman's tactics and moved to attack. Batman quickly found himself on the defense. Much like the last group Batman fought, the Polymorphic Spectres did not have the same exploitable weaknesses of the Villains they posed as. It was made especially clear for the Joker. Despite sharing his same twisted and mad grin, there was no laughter to be heard.

Batman: (I can't waste any time fighting these Spectres. I have to disable the Ion Cortex now.)

As the Polymorphic Spectres crowded around Batman, Batman grabs two Shock Batarangs and throws them at the Spectres of Catwoman and Riddler. As the Spectres grabbed the Batarangs, the Batarangs detonated,  trapping the two Spectres in energy bindings that releases a powerful electric discharge that incapacitates the Spectres. As Batman moves for the Ion Cortex, he is attacked by the Polymorphic Spectre of the Joker who grabs the Dark Knight and throws him off the bridge. However, Batman was able to reach for his grappling gun and propells himself back on the bridge. As Batman combats the Joker Spectre, he is contacted by Jeremy.

Jeremy(Comlink): Batman, any signs of the Ion Cortex?

Batman: XANA's Spectres have taken the Ion Cortex into the Factory. I'm engaging them now!

As Batman said this, the Joker Spectre gained the upper hand on Batman. As Batman defended himself from the Joker Spectre's relentless attacks, he was soon overwhelmed as the Joker Spectre began to attack Batman. As the Joker Spectre moved to kill Batman, the Dark Knight throws a Batarang at the Ion Cortex, shutting it down. As Batman did this, the Joker Spectre releases Batman and moves to repair the Ion Cortex. Knowing that he was no match for the Spectre, Batman decides that the best option was to make his way inside the Factory while the Joker Spectre repaired the Ion Cortex. Knowing that time was against him, Batman rushed through the Factory and made his way inside the Lab where Jeremy was.

Jeremy: Batman! Did you disable the Ion Cortex?

Batman: Not quite. I took down most of the Spectres, but last one got the better of me. I managed to shut down the Cortex, but the Spectre is moving to repair it.

Jeremy: Things aren't any better on our end. We've located the Tower, but we've encountered heavy resistance from XANA's monsters. The others are on their last legs.

Batman looked over to the computer and could see ID Cards of all the Lyoko Warriors displayed on the screen. All their Life Points were below 50.

Batman: What happens if they're defeated on Lyoko?

Jeremy: They get devirtualized and get sent back here. That also means they can't be sent back. And if Aeltia gets devirtualized, we're in big trouble!

Batman: What do you mean?

Jeremy: Aelita is the only one capable of deactivating the Tower.

Batman looked at the computer screen and studied it intensely. It was clear that the Lyoko Warriors were severely outnumbered. It was only a matter of time until they were overrun. Batman understood that if the Lyoko Warriors failed on Lyoko, this would have dire consequences for not only France, but possibly the world. Batman had been preparing for this, though it came sooner than expected. He looked over to the security footage and could see the Joker Spectre repairing the Ion Cortex at a rapid rate. Batman then contacts Oracle.

Batman: Oracle, is the program ready?

Oracle(Comlink): It's almost ready, Batman. I just need a little more time.

Batman: We're out of time. I need that program finished quickly.

Oracle(Comlink): Understood, Batman.

As the call ended, Batman gave Jeremy his communicator.

Batman: When I give you the signal, contact Oracle. She'll know what to do.

Jeremy: What about you?

Batman: I'm going to Lyoko.

Upon hearing this, Jeremy was shocked. But at this point, Jeremy was running out of options. Not only were his friends on the verge of devirtualization, but the Ion Cortex was close to being fully repaired.

Jeremy: All right. Head down to the Scanner Room. I'll prepare you for virtualization.

Without hesitation, Batman heads down to the Scanner Room. Despite not knowing what would happen, Batman knew there was no other option. As Batman stepped inside a Scanner, Jeremy began the procedure.

Jeremy: Transfer Batman. Scanner Batman.

As Jeremy runs the Scanner on Batman, Batman's vitals and stats are recorded on the computer as an ID Card displaying Batman's portrait showed up on the computer screen. Jeremy had no idea of whether this was going to work. Despite this, Jeremy knew that this was his only chance. Once the scans were complete, Jeremy took a deep breath.

Jeremy: Virtualization.

As Jeremy said this, he pressed the key on his keyboard to begin the virtualization process. Meanwhile inside the Scanner, lights began to flash inside along with a loud whirring sound. Before he could respond, Batman could feel his body being virtualized. After a moment, Batman was finally virtualized in the Mountain Sector of Lyoko. Once he landed on the ground, Batman surveyed his surroundings. In that moment, Batman was now in Lyoko.