2

Àyànfé

  I just got back home from my SAT classes and the house seemed empty. It was quite unusual, because my Dad often worked from home unless he had to go to his sites. He was a very successful real estate agent, and that was the reason we came down to Nigeria from London in the first place eleven years ago. To expand his business. My step mom was most likely still at work, and my sister at school.

  I walked up the stairs to go to my room, and I was quite surprised to hear Giveon's heartbreak anniversary playing from my brother's room. I hastened my steps and bust into his room. I caught him singing into a torch. Typical Tokunbo.

  "TK! you didn't tell me you were home already" I wrapped him into a very tight hug. My brother and I had a very close bond, and I could say he was one of my best friends.

  "Surprise!" He replied, hugging me back even tighter. "How was your exam?"

  "It was great. The girls and I almost studied to death" I replied, laughing.

  "Glad to know it was good. Mehn I missed home as fuck. Where's my baby?" He asked, referring to Monifa.

  "She's still in school, I guess. Extra lessons" I shrugged.

  "Oh yeah... anything to eat?" He asked, turning to look at me.

  "Mom made Jollof rice and chicken last night, so there should be some in the fridge" I replied. "I'll be downstairs in a minute"

  "Sure" He answered. I left his room to mine, to go change into something more comfortable. After I changed, I left my room and went down the stairs into the kitchen. I saw my brother standing by the aisle on his phone, food in the microwave.

  "Come tommorow na" I heard him say into the phone. I wonder who he is talking to, I thought to myself. The microwave bleeped and I walked towards it to bring out his food.

  "No wahala my guy. Bless up G" He said and dropped the call. I handed his plate of hot Jollof rice to him.

  "Thanks baby" He said and digged into the food. He started walking towards the door and I followed him out into the living room.

  "Who dey come tommorow?" I asked, taking a sit beside him. Okay maybe I'm a bit obsessed with my brother like Monifa is.[who is coming tomorrow?]

  "Oh my guy is coming here tomorrow. We have a very important assignment we need to start working on" He replied, biting his chicken. "Damn this chicken is bussin"

  "I know right" I laughed.

  "So what's going on in your life big bro?" I asked, relaxing into the sofa.

  "Eh nothing much, but there's this girl I'm eyeing y'know?" He replied, wiggling his eyebrows. I gasped in shock. My brother has never been interested in relationships of any sort, and this one was a first.

  "Wowww TK. Who would have thought so?" I teased.

  "Shut up"

  "So how's she like? She must be something special for her to catch my bougie big brother's eyes" I teased again.

  "Yes she's special and no I'm not bougie" He rolled his eyes.

  "Whatever. Sha tell me about her" I said with eager eyes.

  "Well her name is Chichima, she's also in 300 level Unilag" He said. I just stared at him in irritation.

  "What?" He asked clueless.

  "You just gave me a vague description of her boy. Tell me more" I replied.

  "Stop disturbing me" He said and went back to his food. Before he could take another scoop of rice, I snatched his fork right out of his hand. He glared at me and gave a deep sigh.