7. Why Not?

Sometimes I underestimate how quickly I walk because it ended up taking me ten minutes to get there. We agreed to meet outside the restaurant and I didn't see anyone so I stood outside, checking my phone briefly to see if there were any updates from Liv. I was still upset about not taking Cookie out before I left but figured since we're only having lunch today that I'll be home within an hour or so. I was itching for a cigarette but figured I could smoke after. It always made me nervous going on a date for the first time. Some aren't keen on smokers and I hoped that wasn't a turn off for Liv. I've thought about quitting if I ever found the right person but I've not had much luck in love.

I could hear footsteps up ahead and saw Liv walking towards the restaurant, looking for something in her purse. Time seemed to slow as I watched her. Her hair was down in loose curls and she was wearing a knee-length floral sundress that gave me dirty thoughts, causing me to look down in shame. I already thought she was gorgeous after a full day of work so I began to feel nervous. She managed to find what she was looking for and looked up, her eyes meeting mine and she smiled.

"Hi, Van."

The way she said my name was enough to send me over. My mouth fell open struggling to find words.

"I—hi," I replied shyly.

"Were you waiting a while?" she questioned.

"Nah, I just got here a few minutes ago. Shall we head in?"

I held the door open for her and she walked in, thanking me. The restaurant was buzzing but we were quickly seated. We were handed menus so we flipped through the pages.

"Have you been here before?" Liv questioned, her eyes on the menu.

"This is actually my first time. I usually eat Thai near my work rather than eat at home but this place is buzzing every time I pass by. I reckon it must be good," I answered. "Did you get all your errands done?"

"Yeah, I still need to go to the bank but figured I'd stop by after. My friends cancelled on me last-minute so I actually don't have anything after this if you'd like to do something after."

As much as I'd love to spend more time with her, I couldn't leave Cookie alone that long.

"I'd love to but I've got to let my neighbor's dog out." After saying that, I realized I was an idiot for saying no. I could always let Cookie out and spend time with her after.

"You're watching your neighbor's dog?"

"Yeah, he's a devil thinking he's tough 'n everything but he's just a tiny chihuahua." At that, Liv laughed giving me the courage to continue. "He's well ugly. Got them eyes that look like they're gonna pop out but he's cute. Ugly cute." She was drinking water when I said that and she covered her mouth not wanting to spit it out. She quickly swallowed and spoke up.

"Well then. I'd like to meet him if you don't mind."

I should be enthused that she wants to come 'round to mine to meet Cookie but it made me nervous. I've never had a girl ask to come back to mine on the first date unless we both knew it was a hookup. Even if it was a hookup, I've always managed to have it go the other way around. That I come back to her place rather than she come to mine.

On top of that, I hadn't gotten around to cleaning the flat yet so I wasn't sure if it was a mess. It was an organized mess in my mind. It was just Bondy and I—what did you expect? And not to mention Cookie wasn't let out since Bondy left this morning and I wasn't sure if he pissed somewhere in the flat. But what scared me most was having a lass in my room. I was worried she'd look through my stuff and ask what I do. Although the stack of CDs and notebooks aren't interesting at all, I do keep drug paraphernalia in my room.