2. Nameless

My alarm went off but I didn't hear it right away. I think it wasn't until five minutes in that I finally heard it, and I was disappointed to learn I had to go to work. After muttering expletives under my breath, I managed to roll over, turn off my alarm, and sat up. I yawned and ran my hand through my hair to get it out of my face. My eyes instantly went to the computer and I could feel the sickness crawling back from the pit of my stomach.

I walked over to my desk and began unplugging cords from Jim's computer and connected them to my computer again. The copies I made were sitting on my desk in plain sight so I put them in my drawer for safekeeping. My plan for the day was to go to work, stop by Jim's after to return his computer, and go to the farewell outing for my workmate. The plan was to get shitfaced tonight but now that I have something urgent, I'm gonna have to cut down on the number of pints I have tonight. I had to go on the dark web and sell Jim's credit card information, and once that's done, I have to send an anonymous tip to the police.

For a fleeting second, I felt terrible for the man. His fate was in the palm of my hands; I could turn a blind eye and demand that he delete all the files but something told me only the most vile human being would possess such a thing in the first place. I could tell him but there was no guarantee he'd listen.

I wish there was a way to erase the last 12 hours of my memory. I hate how that shit stays with you. It will forever haunt me, and for that, he deserves what's coming. My mind's made up and once it's made up, there's no changing it.

Bondy was about to leave by the time I stepped out into the hallway. He was leant over tying the laces on his boots.

"Good morning Van," he greeted me. His voice was muffled seen as he was talking to the ground.

"Morning Bondy," I replied. "Thanks for making curry last night." Bondy finally finished tying his boots and straightened up, adjusting his cap and messenger bag.

"It was no problem. I should've made it earlier but I just wanted to sit and do nowt after a long day at work." I laughed at his response.

"I get ya! I'll see ya tonight. Got that thing with me workmate after so I'll be home late."

"You better not get sick on the carpet," Bondy warned jokingly.

"I can't make any promises."

Bondy said goodbye and left for work, leaving me alone in the flat. I went to the bathroom and got ready. Luckily since Bondy's up before I am, the water in the kettle is still hot so I don't have to get the kettle going again. I wasn't in the mood for anything fancy so I settled on Special K for breakfast. Quick and easy...just how I like it.

After eating, I grabbed my jacket and put my boots on, making my way towards the lift to the parking garage. Jim's computer was in my arms; it was heavy so I leaned it against the handrail so I wasn't carrying the entire weight. Once the doors opened, I stepped out and stopped in front of my car. I unlocked the car and placed the computer in the boot, praying it wouldn't get broken into. Once the computer was properly secured, I made my way towards the driver's seat, got in, and drove to work.

I'm usually one of the first at work and I took great pride in coming on time. Seems like others came in early as well since Dan's desk was decorated for his last day. He packed most of his stuff yesterday but still had some items to take home. I was in charge of ordering the cake which I had to pick up at 10 AM. Luckily the bakery was within walking distance so that made things easier.

When asked what message I wanted on the cake, I had some choice words to say like calling him a cunt but I remembered I was in America where that term is offensive. I settled on "you're dead to us, traitor" instead.