Starved of the validation from real-life intimacy

The Sunday high-noon sun flickered languidly behind fleeting cumulus clouds as it glimmered onto the rug of the empty living room of the apartment. Floating fine particles of household pollen and dust, otherwise unobservable and unseen, were twirling in suspension in the spotlight of the sun's rays.

Tilly was standing in front of the bathroom mirror. Her inviting satin camisole tenderly adorned her supple body as she applied her makeup.

Her flowing brown hair cascaded voluminously down her swanlike arched back. Despite her gleefulness, Tilly's pouty lips always maintained the neutrality of no expression. This feature made her exude both innocence and intensity. But it was the gentle intensity that came with a beautiful woman who seemed to not be easily impressed...and rarely ever was. It was a feature that made men feel the tremendous joy of accomplishment when they managed to make her smile...and when they miraculously managed to make her giggle, would feel the rapture of euphoria. The mere sight of her would be enough to steal the hearts of all too willing victims.

Sauntering into the bedroom with deliberate grace, Tilly's camisole glided revealingly over her smooth body as she meandered with measured movements. She gazed at Elias who was lying in bed, fiddling with his phone, completely unaware of his surroundings.

Biting her bottom lip, Tilly approached the bed. Her suggestive eyes had a ferocity to them. She crouched at the foot of the bed and began advancing on Elias on all fours. Her spine slithered sensually like a lioness ready to pounce on her prey.

Elias knew what Tilly wanted and felt encumbered by the burden of her impending expectations.

"Hey, stranger," Tilly said as she took Elias's phone from his hands and placed it on the nightstand.

She mounted herself on Elias's lap and she began to shower him with breathless kisses. Her lips were succulent and wet, indicating that this was merely the opening act of the performance. A performance that she was libidinously determined to see through to its culmination.

Elias's impassive lips responded to her kisses only to the extent of reciprocity.

Not knowing what to do with his arms, he stiffly wrapped them around Tilly, awkwardly attempting to caress the arch of her back. But his dispassionate touch swept clumsily over her body in a sort of emotionless disposition.

Inflamed by the titillating arousal of a young woman who had not been gratified for an excruciating while, Tilly was all too eager to move the nonverbal conversation forward.

Elias's groin was trapped between Tilly's thighs as she continued to mount him. Still kissing him, she fervently rummaged his lap while panting lasciviously. But the lustful search suddenly halted as her puzzled hands began quizzically patting his uninspired lap in both disbelief and disappointment.

"Is everything OK?"

"I'm just too tired I guess."

"It's OK, babe. You haven't been getting enough sleep I guess..."

She dejectedly dismounted from his lap and went into the bathroom to continue getting ready for work. Elias's body had just conveyed to her a rejection that his mouth failed to make explicit. On a more profound level, however, Tilly's self-esteem was hurt all the same. Physically insulted. It was starved of the validation it needed from the intimacy of real life that was usually placated digitally through social media. But being rejected in real life, up close and personal, was much more devastating.

Elias was agitated by the incident. It stung him like salt on a wound whose blisters exacerbated his diminishing sense of himself. Not only was he not the main character of his life, but his insubordinate manhood seemed to disrespect the last sliver of dominion he thought he had over his life. Elias resented Tilly for it and continued to sulk in bed, distracting himself by fiddling with his phone...

... "OK, babe, hopefully, I shouldn't be working too late," Tilly said as she peeped into the bathroom for a kiss while carrying her files and paperwork.

Elias landed a distracted peck from the corner of his mouth as he continued to blandly stare at his reflection while he modishly groomed himself.

"What are you up to today?" she asked but with hints of insinuating insecurity which Elias petulantly was attuned to.

"Going to meet Wayne at the park for coffee."

"Oh, nice...well enjoy..."

"Thanks."

Tilly leaned in for another goodbye kiss feeling that the effect of the initial kiss had expired by the questions she ensued. Elias felt beleaguered by her demanding affection today but never failed to fulfill his duty. On paper, he was a good boyfriend. He faintly grazed her lips before she made her way out of the apartment, leaving Elias steeped in the bitterness of his own reflection.