Prologue - Cruelty

It was a rainy night at the [L/N] Estate.

Two pairs of footsteps were frantically running down the halls. Their ragged breaths accompanied by their thumping hearts and geta were the only sounds that could be heard, along with the pattering of rain and the roaring of thunder in the distance.

"Quick, they're getting away!"

A soldier suddenly yelled, alerting their comrades. They were chasing two women, [M/N] [L/N] and her teenage daughter, [Y/N]. Both are members of the formerly esteemed [L/N] Clan, a notable samurai clan in Inazuma.

But that all changed when one of their ancestors made a mistake, a mistake not worth mentioning. After that incident, their name slowly began falling apart.

Before they were left with a few hundred thousand Mora, they were able to hire servants and live comfortably in peace. When they reached their breaking point, [Y/N]'s father had to release all the servants they hired in order to save money.

When the authorities finally came to seize the [L/N] Estate, they found out that the head of the clan and its heir possessed a Hydro and Anemo Vision respectively. After that discovery, they called the Vision Hunt Decree to seize their Visions.

[M/N] dragged her daughter to the forest beside their estate. [Y/N] wanted to protest and head back in, but she knew that she was no match for the soldiers swarming their now distressed and ransacked home.

Her swordsmanship has yet to develop into something more, and the Anemo Vision which was hanging from her hip was deemed useless. She was here to witness her own clan's fall.

A member of the Tenryou Commission was also here to witness the [L/N] Clan's fall. Kujou Sara just so happened to be near the area. She and her group were fighting a few ronins from the Sangonomiya Resistance which were scattered throughout the outskirts of Inazuma City.

After hearing of a scuffle near the perimeter, she then headed to the said location. After arriving at her destination, the adoptive daughter of the Kujou Clan was immediately informed by one of the soldiers of the ongoing situation.

'Hm, the [L/N] Clan, huh?'

Seconds after analyzing and pondering what to do, she finally made a decision. The Tenryou general stood there readying her bow.

And then she fired it.

The sound of an Electro-infused arrow whooshing was all that can be heard. The head of the house, [F/N] [L/N], was already captured and tied on a wooden post. He screamed to warn his wife and daughter about the incoming attack.

Although it fell on their deaf ears, one of the soldiers had enough of it and chopped the back of his neck to knock him out, rendering him unconscious.

The soldiers were still chasing the mother and daughter duo. After Kujou Sara fired her bow, it hit something. Not even a second later, a loud scream was heard. The servants of the [L/N] Estate immediately knew who it belonged to. It sent a chill down their spines at how loud it was.

[M/N] [L/N] was shot by an arrow at her shoulder.

She let out a loud scream causing her to tumble down a hill along with her daughter.

"Mother!" screamed her teenage daughter.

Their kimonos were already dirtied up and wet. The arrow that pierced her shoulder was infused with Electro, and the fact that it was raining added more pain to the wound.

"My love, please run away," [M/N] begged.

The arrow that shot her shoulder ended up shocking her, causing her mother to be Electro-Charged. She mustered up all her strength to lean against a tree and tell her beloved daughter to run away.

[M/N] couldn't begin to imagine what she would feel if her child were to be captured along with her husband. [Y/N] stubbornly protested at her mother's request. She can't leave her alone now that her father has been captured.

"Please," her mother begged one last time.

Due to [Y/N]'s extensive knowledge in the human body, she knew that her mother was going to survive the arrow that shot her mother. Kujou Sara intentionally missed her shot in order to avoid killing her. They used to be good acquaintances, after all.

But she can't bear to leave someone, especially her own mother, to writhe in pain and agony all alone in the middle of a dark forest.

Weighing down her choices, she finally made a decision. If she were to get captured, her parents would feel sad and miserable to let their only daughter suffer and share their burden.

Glancing around the area, her eyes landed on the soft glow emanating from Electro crystalflies. It made her wonder what it would feel like to just disappear from the world's surface and hide with her own family and live in peace.

She'll be separated from them. And she doesn't know when she'll run into their arms once more. Her vision slowly became fogged and blurry, an indication that she was close to breaking down.

With tears in her eyes, she reluctantly nodded. [Y/N] choked out a sob to hide their location from their pursuers. She had to stay strong for them. She kneeled down and whispered something that made tears flow out of their eyes.

"I love you."

"I love you, too," replied [M/N], her [E/C] eyes softening at her daughter.

[Y/N] then stood up, and turned around to run away. The rain seemingly got heavier and the booming of thunder made the young woman wonder if their own archon was insulting her.

Standing up from her position, she looked up at the sky. The stars shone down on her face gently, contrasting to the harsh pattering of rain dripping down her figure.

The young woman turned back to look at her mother one last time before disappearing in the depths of the woodland's plantation.

"Don't worry mother..."

"...I'll find my way back home."