Chapter 5 - Straight From The Heart

It was supposed to be a normal day. The sky was great, the clouds look fluffy, and the crowd is seemingly happy. Except for three people, that is.

Kanae slowly approached the bald man, her sandals making a soft noise amidst the roaring chatter of the crowd. From behind, [Y/N] could see that he was holding a rope tied around a little girl's waist.

"Excuse me, do you have a minute?"

The man and young girl eventually turned around, facing Kanae and revealing their faces.

[Y/N] took her time in analyzing the young girl's features. Her black hair was a tangled mess and she was wearing a dirty kimono. She also saw the thick rope tied around her waist.

The duo didn't share the same features, so [Y/N] assumed that she was already sold by her biological parents.

Her eyes were dull, just like Giyuu's.

She looked broken. It was like something inside of her just snapped. [Y/N]'s brows furrowed in an unknown emotion, something that Shinobu noticed.

Kanae greeted the young girl, "Hello, there. Nice to meet you."

[Y/N] slightly leaned over, looking at the young girl's purple eyes. She saw a slight twinkle in them, something similar to hope.

But she knew that some of the emotions she sealed wouldn't resurface until a turning point in her life. She decided to tune out their conversation and instead look at the scarred man in front of them.

'He seems rude. He's going to preach any minute now about money.'

After Kanae asked the young girl's name, the man replied in a harsh tone, "She's got no name, alright? Her parents never gave her one."

He then proceeded to talk about money, shouting at the Flower Pillar to pay up if she wants to talk to the young girl. With this, [Y/N] furrowed her brows and slowly approached the man.

At this point, the three of them were already pissed. Kanae and [Y/N] could practically feel Shinobu's rage just by looking at her.

In order to calm herself down, the youngest Kocho said something that shocked the both of them, herself included.

"Alright, then, we'll purchase her..."

...Would this be enough?" and with the clanking of coins, she whipped out a stash of money to the man's face. The scarred man and the people around them had a look of shock painted on their faces at Shinobu's actions.

[Y/N] merely smiled and, using the man's stupefied state, snatched the thick rope from his hand, but not before taking a ¥500 bill from the air. The Kocho sisters saw this and laughed at their friend's actions. They didn't mind it one bit, anyway.

In turn, she gave them a sheepish smile at her shameful action.

'I'm broke. I have no money from this world whatsoever. I'm sorry, Shinobu-san. I feel like Rex Lapis cursed me.'

She also took Kanae's hand to pull her up from her kneeling position. They then bolted away from the scarred man, crossing the wooden bridge that was above a river.

Now away from everyone's prying eyes, they turned towards an alleyway to hide and regain their composure.

The Flower Pillar softly sighed, "Are you sure about this?"

The young girl looked at the three women with pure curiosity etched on her face. [Y/N] shortly glanced at her and saw the same look in her eyes earlier, 'Oh? I sense amusement from her.'

"It's fine, nee-san!" Shinobu replied.

Due to [Y/N] learning Total Concentration Breathing, she was surprised that she didn't need to take deep breaths to regain her composure.