Chapter 7 - Final Selection

= Warnings =
Death, blood, gore, and cursing.

───── ✦ ─────

The day of the Final Selection has finally come. The moon has yet to rise, yet [Y/N] was already anxious of her impending doom.

She was silently eating with the Ubuyashiki Family, the clattering of their chopsticks and some slight shuffling could be heard throughout the dining area.

There was certainly no time for idle conversations.

Even though the young woman had been living with the Ubuyashikis for six months, they refrained from revealing crucial details about the Final Selection to remain fair.

Kagaya and Amane only told her that prospective Demon Slayers only have to survive at the mountain for seven nights without any outside aid.

She already knew that the test itself was highly dangerous, but [Y/N] was completely unaware of the underlying dangers on Mt. Fujikasane. The Ubuyashiki couple begrudgingly decided on not revealing that mutated demons have infested the mountain.

As a Demon Slayer, she has to expect the unexpected.

Kiriya almost told her this piece of information, but was abruptly interrupted with Hinaki shoving a spoonful of rice down his throat.

She understood that this test will decide her fate. And when something significant happens in the future, perhaps she'll find something out of the blue.

Maybe she'll finally find the connection that she has with Yoriichi.

───── ✦ ─────

The Ubuyashiki Family insisted on sending [Y/N] off. With a family of their status, they can't show themselves outside, so they instead went to accompany her on their estate's front door.

Kiriya clung to [Y/N] like his life depended on it. Tears were welling up in eyes as he held onto her. He didn't want to let go of her.

Hinaki and Nichika were standing beside their father, silently watching the interaction with a frown tugged on their faces.

Even though they will be present on Mt. Fujikasane, the older twins still can't help but feel nervous every now and then.

Kagaya stepped forward, and with a raise of his hand, he gently patted her [H/C] locks. It was a silent gesture between a father and his daughter. Almost like a silent gesture of a father sending his daughter to her doom.

Walking through the row of Wisteria trees, she looked back to see the Ubuyashiki Family waving at her with warm smiles on their faces.

With teary eyes, she gave them a smile in return and finally departed from the Ubuyashiki Estate, a heartfelt resolve blooming in her heart as she walked out of her home.

'Don't worry, I'll make sure to make it out alive.'

Kiriya turned to look at Kagaya, a hint of anxiousness present in his plum irises, "Father, she'll survive this year's test, right?"

The head of the Ubuyashiki Family turned to him, a gentle smile on his face as he replied to his son, "Of course, Kiriya."

Kiriya could only nod at his father's words. The unsettling emotion bubbling inside him slowly being eased out at his father's reassurance.

He knew she was strong. He has faith in [Y/N] and in her abilities. But this is the Final Selection they're talking about.

Anyone can die.