29

A/N — REMINDER TO AVOID READING & WRITING SPOILERS FROM HEREON.

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE

MALIA

CONFUSION WAS ETCHED ON MY FACE AS I STARED AT HIM, NOT EVEN A MINUTE LATER

"Wait, how are you here right now?" I started to ramble at once. "I texted you, but I doubt you could have got here so fast? I was trying to tell you about the airport but I couldn't get through to you. I have so many more questions—"

"Not now. Questions later." Mateo said seriously, reaching for my elbow and attempting to drag me along with him.

"That's fine by me, but you do see Alberto running, right?" I muttered, "I kinda attacked him, Rio's in there and—"

His face remained indifferent as he attempted to move me along with him, but I couldn't move as briskly as he needed since my feet were encased in blisters.

Mateo caught me off guard when he seized me by the hips and slammed me against a wall, out of sight, as if he'd heard the gunshots coming.

I gaped at him, my mouth open and brows furrowed, while he sheltered me by taking a big breath and towered over me, his gun held above my head protectively.

"I need to get you out of here." He muttered, tugging my hand in his and pulling it into his. "Move a little faster."

The sound of an incoming bullet ricocheted off the surrounding brick walls and my eyes widened in alarm as I tried to keep up. I debated reaching low and ripping my tattered heels off, but he had already placed his hand behind my knees and had taken me into his arms.

A yell left my mouth and I glared at him as he moved swiftly, with me held against him, as if it didn't bother him one bit. My legs dangled and I squeezed my eyes shut, my head nestled under his chin, feeling snugger by the second.

"You don't need to carry me. Put me down, you brute." I said, flustered. "Now, please. I can walk the distance."

"So you can slow us both down, bambina? Not a chance." He remarked, his muscled arms holding me tightly against his body. Flaring my nostrils, I opened my eyes to glare at him, though I was quickly distracted by his familiar scent, that only made me want to bury myself further into him.

"I'm scared I'll get your clothes all dirty. Look at that shirt you have on." I grumbled, fully aware that I had only been rolling around on the ground not even a few moments ago. "Who even turns up to places like this, dressed like that? You really had the chance to slip out of your costume too? Gee, mines all the way torn up at a hotel."

"Please shut up, for once." He huffed. "I don't think you've quite understood yet, that there are literal bullets flying at us —the least of my concerns is couture right now."