06

CHAPTER SIX

MALIA

ROMI NIKOLAI ACCOMPANIED US back to the apartment

ROMI NIKOLAI ACCOMPANIED US back to the apartment. I didn't object when Imaani decided he was a cool guy, because truthfully coolness radiated off him like beacons of breeze.

Pepe had given Imaani's tattoo for free —because she apparently was the nicest person he'd met in a while. She was obviously so elated about it.

She warmed up to everybody that she met, she knew no better. Even when our paths first crossed and I wasn't even interested in her friendship. Romi...he had a secret and I knew so, just because his actions came off too quick and easy, and she didn't realise that, yet.

I almost wanted to shake her and question why she was being so friendly, but I decided I would let her understand the consequence of her mistakes when he'd probably return to dissect her brain and pull off her toenails one by one at night.

I gave her a blank stare as we rode the elevator together, tapping my foot and humming to myself. She was too preoccupied with the cursive words emblazoned on her body to notice me, I didn't ask her what was the significance behind the tattoo either, because it seemed like a personal thing to her.

"Ever heard of stranger danger?" I piped up, just as the elevator doors slid open to the last level.

"Of course." She said casually. "Why?"

I all but snorted, "We need to be careful about what we say around people we don't know. We've gone through this, some people don't mean well for us, even if we don't necessarily see it. Sometimes we think we know someone, but we don't."

"I understand?" She said in a clipped tone, as I unlocked the door, leading to the suite. "Is there something else you're not telling me?"

"Since you asked," I replied defensively, "You really didn't have to tell him personal things about yourself and accept his offer. That's a precarious trait you have."

"That was stupid." She exhaled, "I wasn't thinking straight. He mentioned he wanted to take us to lunch tomorrow, specifically you and I caved. I guess in my head I thought I was match-making. I can decline his offer."

"For the sake of making new friends, I'll come. I don't want you being alone with him, anyways." I countered, making my way to the balcony, so I could stare at the crowded bodegas. "Can we order something to eat now?"

"Sure." Imaani quipped, chewing her bottom lip as she left me to wallow in my own thoughts.

I exhaled deeply, pinching the bridge of my nose. I didn't understand why I was so on edge, so paranoid and condescending. My shoulder muscles were stiff and sore, the tension rushing through me but lingering in the background like a dull ache. For a brief moment, I begged myself to turn it off. I didn't want to jeopardise the rest of the night.