Chapter 7

ALPHA MARCELLUS STORM

Watching her drive away, from the pack house, from him, and not doing anything about it was the hardest thing Alpha Marcellus Storm ever had to do. He had been leading the pack by himself for the past ten years but compared to this one moment, all of that was nothing but a speck of dust.

Another growl rumbled from deep within his chest and his wolf pawed at the ground, internally battling to gain control himself as he forced himself to watch his mate leave him.

Not that she knew she was his mate.

Why are we not going after her? His wolf demanded in another growl, not at all bothered that the ground shook underneath his paws and the sleeping birds awoke with caws and flapping of their wings despite it being just short of midnight. Our mate is driving away from us and we're just going to let her?

She's not our mate. Marcellus denied as finally, he shifted into his human form, his head bowed and his eyes squeezed tightly. We're not letting our mate go because that woman is not our mate.

How the fuck can you say that? His wolf growled the demand as he forcefully took over and shifted back into his wolf form, only able to take two steps forward before Marcellus forced himself to halt. What is wrong with you? Why are you denying her? Why are you denying us?

Did you not see her? Marcellus growled and grappled to come to terms with the reality that he had seen in Raphael and Justas' bedroom earlier.

I saw her. I saw our mate.

And?

And what? His wolf snorted and rolled his beady eyes. You're angry that she was sleeping in another man's room? You know they're both gay and are too in love with each other to look at anyone else, let alone a female. That's the whole point of having a mate.

Marcellus glowered at his wolf as he was forced to take a backseat as his wolf began running through the woods even though the car was long gone.

She's pregnant.

I know. I saw that, too.

Then why are you behaving like this?

His wolf growled loudly at the disrespect, but Marcellus merely growled back at him, both of them still battling for power and dominance, torn over what should have been a relatively simple situation. One which he shouldn't even need to think about.

Our mate is pregnant with a child that isn't ours. How does that not bother you?

His wolf snorted as he continued running, trying to pick up the faint scent of his mate, having pushed himself to catch up with her and the moving vehicle, but making sure to stay out of sight so as to not raise any suspicions among his pack members.

You don't think it bothers me? His wolf snapped at him. You don't think the fact that she's carrying someone else's baby doesn't bother me? It does fucking bother me! Of course, it bothers me!

Then why are you behaving like this? Marcellus asked in a small voice, barely able to wrap his mind around the situation. How can you still want her?

His wolf stopped abruptly in the middle of the forest, allowing the sight of the car to disappear from view as it continued driving. Marcellus held his breath as his wolf sat down on the ground and stared ahead through vacant eyes, watching the lights of the car slowly fade out of view until he could no longer make it out; even with his enhanced werewolf sight.