Chapter 10

ANASTASIA MULBERRY

"Sorry about that." The stranger chuckled. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"You didn't scare me. Just caught me off guard." She laughed softly, holding a hand over her heart, willing for it to calm down after the fright she had just suffered.

"Seemed like you were scared with the way you screamed." The tall stranger chuckled as he stared down at her with a small smile on his face, watching her curiously as her fingers stilled on her keyboard.

Anastasia noticed his gaze and cleared her throat as she made sure to save her work and close her laptop. She had absolutely no qualms about reading or writing steamy scenes or erotica, but she felt uncomfortable doing so in front of a stranger.

"I didn't scream. I gasped." She chuckled lightly as she pushed her laptop to the side, gesturing with her hands for him to join her as he had requested before. "Not sure if you're aware but there's a difference."

"Oh, I'm aware but it sounded an awful lot like a scream." The stranger chuckled as he slid into the booth in front of her, effectively taking a seat. "The name's Harvey. Harvey Ainsley."

Her lips tipped higher into a small smile.

"Nice to meet you, Harvey. I'm Anastasia." She reached out to accept his outstretched hand, making sure to omit her last name. She was a firm believer of stranger danger, especially since she could tell that Harvey was a wolf.

With his wolfish grin and the aura of confidence that evidently surrounded him with the way he held himself, it was a no brainer to recognise that he was a wolf. However, she wasn't quite sure if he was from The Lupum Griseo pack or any of the other surrounding packs as this was neutral territory and surrounded by four packs from every angle. Essentially a safe haven for humans as the packs kept out any rogues and other dangers alike.

The thought that he was the wolf outside her window today briefly ran through her mind. She was quick to shake her head and rid her mind of the absurd thought, not believing it to be possible as it was more of a coincidence than something purposely planned.

"Anastasia. What a beautiful name." He remarked with a big grin, leaning back in his seat as he stretched his arms over the back of the booth, his eyes taking her all in. "No last name?"

"Not when I'm speaking to a stranger." She remarked with a smirk of her own.

"Fair enough. I can respect that, Anastasia." He paused, his eyes flicking over her face. "Can I call you Ana for short?"

"Nearly everyone does." She shrugs nonchalantly, glancing over his shoulder as her stomach grumbled again, trying to locate her waitress.

When she spotted the woman walking out of the kitchen with a loaded plate of food, she hoped it was for her.

"What brings you over to my booth, Harvey Ainsley?" Anastasia turned her eyes back to him, making sure to use his full name, wanting to exuberate just as much confidence as him.

If she was unsure about him being a wolf before, she was definitely sure of it now. She hadn't missed the way he had laughed quietly at the sound of her rumbling stomach, even if it had been quiet and probably something a regular human would have missed.

"I'm not sure if you've noticed, but we're the only two people that are here alone." Harvey remarked in a quiet voice as his eyes trailed over everyone in the café, all of them couples or in a group. "And you looked like you could do with some company."

Anastasia forced a polite smile and nodded her head, her eyes trailing away from him, not having the heart to let the stranger know that she was more than happy being on her own. In fact, she had been making some real progress on her novel and right now, all she could think about was finishing off that last scene so she could get started on the next chapter, but her parents had taught her to be polite and tolerable. Especially since it appeared that Harvey really needed some company.