Chapter 19

ALPHA MARCELLUS STORM

He grumbled audibly as he marched into the kitchen and poured himself a mug of coffee before throwing it back, not even flinching when he burnt his tongue on the piping hot beverage.

Once he had finished the cup and reached out to for a top up, Marcellus stilled in his actions as he glanced around the kitchen. He took note of the numerous pairs of eyes that were currently on him, all wide with surprise at his sudden behaviour.

"What? Why are you all staring at me?" He asked with a frown as he poured himself another cup, already aware of exactly why they were staring at him however, he couldn't be bothered to explain himself and frankly, he simply wasn't in the mood to be offering up any excuses.

Mary, the pack chef cleared her throat before turning her attention back to the stove where she was working on a fresh batch of eggs for everyone.

"Would you like some eggs with that coffee, Alpha?" She asked politely with a small smile on her face, the only one in the kitchen daring enough to speak to him when it was clear that he was in such a foul mood.

"No, thank you." He replied politely as he leaned against one of the counters, not really sure what to do since Dalton hadn't come down yet.

Sensing that he wasn't in the talking mood, a few pack members moved out of the kitchen to take a seat at the dining table while others continued as they were. The longer he had to wait, the more anxious he grew; moving onto his third cup of coffee.

If he wasn't a werewolf – and an Alpha wolf at that – a third cup of coffee so early in the morning would have given him the jitters.

As soon as he sensed Dalton reach the ground floor and begin to make his way toward the kitchen with his mate and son in tow, Marcellus pushed himself off the counter without so much as an excuse and poured a second cup of coffee before leaving to meet them halfway in the living room.

"Good morning, Alpha." Bronwyn greeted him with a wide grin, little Devon in her arms.

Despite his rotten mood and the gloomy cloud currently hanging over his head, he smiled politely as Winnie didn't deserve to be on the receiving end of his frustration as she was always nothing but pleasant.

"Good morning, Bronwyn, Devon." He winked at the pup and chuckled lightly as the baby grinned up at him, a few little teeth showing. Marcellus chuckled at the sight of the joyous boy before he turned his attention to his Beta. "Dalton, can I have a quick word before breakfast? I already grabbed you a cup of coffee." He asked, jerking his head toward the hallway where his office was located.

"Sure." Dalton replied warily and followed behind Marcellus, but only after he had kissed both his mate and son, promising that he would join them for breakfast as soon as he was done.

Once they had entered the room, Dalton closed the door behind him and took one of the seats on the other side of the desk, smiling in thanks as Marcellus place down the second cup of coffee in front of him.

"What's got you acting so strange this early in the morning?" Dalton hummed quietly as he raised the mug to his mouth and blew on the hot beverage softly before taking a small sip, much more cautious than Marcellus had previously been.

"I awoke to a call from the council this morning."

Dalton frowned as he lowered his coffee back down on the desk, watching his friend and Alpha carefully.

"Your dad?" He asked in wishful thinking.

Marcellus sighed and shook his head. "You want to take another guess or should I just put you out of your misery now?"