chapter thirty

"I'm no good, you're no better"

KNUCKLE PUCK - 'No Good'

.                         .                       .

"UNBELIEVABLE!"

"Cali-"

"OLIVER JONAS QUEEN, I AM GOING TO STRANGLE YOU WITH MY BARE HANDS!"

"That's called murder and you'll go to jail, which will be a shame, but-"

"IT HAS BEEN LESS THAN A WEEK! LESS. THAN. A. WEEK. AND YOU NEARLY GOT FELICITY BLOWN UP!"

"I did not almost get Felicity blown up, what are you going on about? And can you please stop shouting? You're being very loud and it's very echo-y down here."

"GIVE ME ONE GOOD REASON NOT TO STAB YOU WITH ONE OF YOUR OWN ARROWS!"

Oliver's smile was very, very pretty and very, very nervous as he watched Cali's hand twitch towards the very pointy flying murder sticks. "Because you love me lots and lots," he said hopefully, ignoring Felicity's snorting cackle behind him. Cali's nostrils flared - like an angry bull, he noted absently - and he blanched. "And because I am very sorry about what happened and will do my best to prevent it from happening again," he added hastily.

Diggle lost all semblance of control to his left, collapsing into his seat and hiding his face in his hands as loud, booming laughter leapt from his throat. In any other situation, Oliver would find it endearing to listen to his friend sound so carefree, but Cali hadn't stopped glaring at him, and so he was a tad more preoccupied than usual.

Felicity, fighting her own giggles and still wearing her gold gown and contacts and makeup, stepped up to Cali's side and laid a gentle hand on her arm. "Leave him alone," she puffed, sparing Oliver a pitying glance. "I'm fine now. I was only in danger for like, I don't know, maybe ten minutes?"

"You had an explosive collar locked around your throat." Cali forced the words out, voice grating and dripping with rage. Oliver felt ill. This was exactly why he'd wanted to keep her away from the Hood and everything it entailed. "It has been less than a week and you literally almost got blown up."

Felicity's nose scrunched as she bit back another laugh. Clearly, she thought this whole situation was hilarious. "That's not Oliver's fault," she managed, somehow looking very sincere. "Besides, I am very much here, in one piece, and not blown up."

"She is," Oliver piped up cheerfully. "And she looks gorgeous too!"

Cali's scowl, if anything, deepened.

Somehow, even with everything he'd faced on and off Lian Yu, Oliver felt that an irate Cali was the most terrifying thing he'd ever faced. He made a mental note never to put Felicity in danger ever again, because he very much wanted children and the way Cali was eyeing him suggested he might not be that lucky if he didn't make it up to her right now.

"Look," he said, sobering slightly. "I really am sorry. I wouldn't have had Diggle and Felicity in on this if I thought I could do it without them." He splayed his hands. "And we are all okay, by the way. So you can stop worrying."

Cali's anger collapsed into something a little less harsh, a little less like stinging nettles. "I always worry." she told him. "For good reason. What if something had gone wrong tonight and we were cleaning Felicity off the walls?"

That was certainly a mental image Oliver didn't need.

(His thoughts went in a very specific direction though, and if Cali wasn't standing right there, he might've indulged the fantasy.)