chapter three

"We're not who we used to be
We're just two ghosts standing in the place of you and me"
HARRY STYLES - 'Two Ghosts'

. . .

Cali woke up suddenly, something heavy landing on top of her and squishing her into the bed. She groaned, trying to roll over, but whatever was splayed over her body kept her pinned in one place. "Off," she grumbled, and the large blob giggled.

"Get up," Thea whined, wriggling. Her knees dug in to Cali's thighs. "Come on, your brother and mine are already up and gone. I gotta leave for school soon."

Cali huffed out a wheezy breath. "Not my problem."

Thea's wriggling increased. "Come on! Look, I want to skip school. I'll take you shopping or something. Just get up."

Cali lazily reached up and waved her hand, accidentally smacking Thea across the face. "Get off me, elephant, and I might."

Thea squeaked in excitement, scrambling off of the bed in a weird flailing of limbs. Cali grunted as hands pressed down on her stomach. Clearly, Thea was jittery - too jittery to really notice what she was doing with her limbs. Or she just didn't care. That was also a strong possibility.

Cali stretched out her limbs, sighing peacefully as her sleepy muscles began to wake up. She felt relaxed, more so than usual. Her entire body was lax and rested, her and her head felt fuzzy after a long night of undisturbed, deep sleep. She felt...fresh.

She frowned at the roof.

Right, she was in Oliver's room. She'd fallen asleep on him last night, too mentally exhausted to really stop herself. But if she'd taken up his bed, where had he slept? She rolled her head to look at Thea, hoping for an answer. "Where..." Her voice trailed off as she yawned.

The younger Queen sibling gave her a knowing look, lips twisted into a cheeky grin. "Ollie slept in one of the guest rooms. Tommy came in to check on you a few times after dinner officially ended, but then he crashed in 'his' room. They've just left for their tour around the city."

It made sense that Tommy hadn't left her here alone. Moira had given them both their own rooms in the house for precisely that purpose.

Cali sat up slowly, humming as Thea threw clothes at her. Clearly, today was a day for action and hurry. Really, Cali felt lethargic and slow - she hadn't felt this relaxed in a long time. God, what the hell kind of magic did Oliver's bed have?

"I'm going to tell Mom that you're driving me to 'school'," Thea said brightly. "Hurry and up and get changed."

Cali mockingly saulted. "Yes ma'am."

Thea responded with a curt nod, a mock-serious look on her face before it dissolved into an expression of pure delight. Cali laughed warmly as Thea hurried out of the room, loudly calling for her mother. Well, at least Oliver's return had lifted Thea's spirits. Cali's smile soured. Or perhaps, Thea had just been given a new supply, and this was the result. That was also likely.

Whatever. Cali shook her head, frowning down at the clothes she was holding. Thea's problems were not Cali's concern. Thea's happiness was her concern, and right now, shopping was apparently what she needed to stay that way. If she was also relying on drugs, then Cali would let her. Better to plead ignorance. If it got out of hand, she'd deal with it, but for now...

She wanted to go shopping, she decided, shrugging off the blanket she didn't remember going to sleep with and standing up. Thea had picked out skinny jeans and a cashmere sweater - simple, yet elegant. Cali's smile regained its warmth.