chapter fifteen

[ NOTE: Updates will be temporarily paused for a moment. The story isn't finished and I'm not abandoning it, I'm just pausing the updates for a hot second ]

.    .    .

"what if I don't catch the dreams that I've been out there chasing?
What if when my fears show up I'm too afraid to face them?"
BEN PLATT - 'So Will I'

.    .    .

The police station fell quiet when Cali walked in.

It wasn't like she hadn't been expecting it, but her skin prickled uncomfortably as the heels of her boots clicked loudly on the floor. She felt exposed, like they were staring right through her to the ugly thing underneath her skin. Voices whispered about Oliver Queen and secrets and vigilantes. She couldn't manage to keep her shoulders back.

She wasn't even sure what she was supposed to be doing here. Moira had called her, tersely informing her that Oliver was asking for her, and despite everything that had happened, Cali couldn't find it in herself to ignore him. Oliver might not have told them about his being the Hood, but he was still her friend, and he'd spent years alone on an island without anyone to support him.

It was time for her to be the bigger person.

"Miss Merlyn," Detective Lance said from somewhere to her left. His voice was tight with victory, but taut with frustration. Clearly Oliver was making this whole process a challenge. Something like pride bubbled in Cali's chest.

"Quinten." She returned the greeting with an equally thin tone of voice, pushing her hands into the pockets of her jacket. "I heard that I was wanted here."

Lance sneered slightly, even as he jerked his head towards the interrogation room at the back of the precinct. "Mr Vigilante asked for you. Said he needed to tell you something." The stiff set to his shoulders softened slightly. "I figured you could do with some reassurance as well. This whole thing was a bit abrupt, and I know how much you hate not knowing."

Cali didn't bother trying to smile. "Thanks, Quinten," she said, already moving towards the interrogation room. "I appreciate the thought."

Even after nearly two years, Michael still shadowed her through life. She knew exactly what Lance was talking about, knew exactly why he'd allowed her to visit Oliver before the trial, why he wasn't putting up a fight about it. And it was fine, maybe a little endearing, but it also grated on Cali's nerves in a way that it hadn't in quite some time. Too many people were taking steps backwards now that Oliver was alive and present. It was almost as though Starling City expected her to shatter into tiny glass pieces the second Oliver said her name.

It was ridiculous. Cali had mental breakdowns over other things. Like Oliver being the new vigilante.

God, how was she supposed to hide this from Lance? He was clearly dead set on the idea, and despite everything, he was right. How could she get in the way of this? She had no doubt that Oliver had some kind of plan, but she wasn't sure she wanted to get involved. She'd always had trouble staying objective.

Walter greeted her outside the interrogation room. If she squinted, Cali could see Oliver through the frosted window, his shoulders hunched but his smile losse and unbothered, as though he wasn't bothered by the fact that Lance had discovered him. It just strengthened Cali's feeling that he had a plan and this was part of it.

"Who's representing him?" Cali asked quietly, rubbing at her forehead. Walter gave her a pained look, mouth tightening. Something in Cali's stomach gave way as she understood what was being implied. "Don't tell me he asked for Laurel."