chapter four

"I will set my soul on fire
What have I become? I'm sorry"
TWENTY-ONE PILOTS - 'Ode to Sleep'

. . .

"I got a car bringing them both here right now," Detective Lance said plainly, sitting opposite them on one of the chairs. His face softened when he met Cali's eyes, a glimpse of paternal care shining through under his distaste for the Queen family. "They're mostly unharmed. Tommy has a concussion. Oliver just has a few bruises."

Cali relaxed into Thea. "Thank you, Detective," she sighed. "Do we know who did it?"

Lance frowned. "My partner has the full report. I'm not optimistic about identifying the men, but we'll try. It'll help if either of the boys can give us an account of what happened."

"Who would want to kidnap Oliver?" Thea asked quietly. "Or Tommy, for that matter? It doesn't make sense."

"Your family has a lot of enemies, Ms. Queen." Lance's voice cooled slightly. "Your brother is quite the trouble-maker. It makes sense that someone held a grudge and decided to take advantage of his lack of stability after his miraculous return."

Thea's muscles tightened, her shoulders stiffening. Cali shot him a warning look. She knew, better than most, the pain that stung Quinten Lance every time he laid eyes on Oliver Queen, or a photo of Sara. He'd lost a daughter, and it was all too easy to blame the easy victim, but that didn't give him the right to drag Oliver's name through the dirt in front of the Queen family.

They'd lost someone on that boat too.

Lance raised his hands in defeat, flicking his attention to his phone as it vibrated on the table. "They're here."

Immediately, Thea was out of her seat and hurrying to the front door, Cali and Moria not far behind. Walter stayed seated with Detective Lance, both of them readying themselves for the chaotic storm that was about to sweep into the room.

"Ollie!" Thea squealed loudly as her brother was led through the front door. That was all the warning Oliver had before he had an armful of frantic Thea, whose shaking shoulders were proof that she was trying not to cry again. "Oh my god, are you okay?"

"Speedy," he laughed, holding her just as tightly as she was holding him. "Hey, calm down. I'm fine." He spared Cali a look and moved aside so Tommy could shuffle forward. "We're both just fine."

Cali would have to speak to Oliver about his definition of 'fine' because Tommy didn't look fine.

His face was sallow and pale, eyes unfocused. His hands shook minutely - small tremors that made his fingers twitch. "Cali?" He said, reaching for her.

She immediately stepped into his embrace. "Oh Tommy," she sighed into his shoulder. "What am I going to do with you?"

His long exhale stirred some of the loose hair on her head. "Sorry for worrying you."

She drew back and cupped his cheek with her hand. He was hot to touch. "You didn't ask to be kidnapped," she said firmly. "There's no need to apologise for something like this."

"Still." Tommy reached up and grabbed the hand that was touching his face. He gave her an earnest look, some of the concussion-related glaze fading from his eyes. "I'm sorry for worrying you."

She allowed herself to smile. Tommy mirrored the action, but it was ruined as he winced in pain. Right. Concussion. "Come on," Cali said, tugging on his hand. "I'll get Raisa to get you a cool cloth. You're flushed. Detective Lance will ask you a few questions and then you can get some rest." She looked over at Oliver and Thea, both of whom were looking back at her already. "Both of you can get some rest," she said firmly.