Worse before it gets better

It took a long time for MK to tell his boss everything, starting right at the beginning. He left out some bits, like the argument he'd had with Macaque and most of what had happened with the Lady Bone Demon but mentioned the important parts, sparing details where he could. 

Once he'd finished his shoulders sagged, finally feeling like he'd gotten a lot off his chest and Pigsy watched in concern, eyebrows furrowed as he tried to take everything in. 

"So... your dad's the Monkey King and your other dad's morally grey. Both of which don't like each other and there's some spooky demon out who wants to kill your dad." He summarised and MK nodded, realizing that he'd never actually said the Bone demons name, glad that Pigsy hadn't asked. Just thinking about it made him feel cold and nervous. 

"And Monkey King doesn't know you're his kid." He added and MK swallowed, feeling ashamed as he nodded slowly. 

"...Are ya gonna tell 'em?" He asked, no judgment in his tone. MK could say no and he knew Pigsy would understand, wouldn't judge him, wouldn't call him selfish. That didn't stop him from feeling selfish though. 

MK shrugged his shoulders, feeling small. 

"I don't know." He confessed quietly, suddenly wishing he could go upstairs and hide in his bed, letting down the shapeshifting so he could finally relax and block out the world and his problems. He just- he just felt so tired. 

Was it bad that right now he wanted desperately to be in his dad's arms? Wrapped up in a strong hug and safe? He remembered what he'd said to Macaque and squashed the childish feeling away, a stone sitting at the bottom of his stomach. 

"Do you want to?" Pigsy asked and MK shrugged again, a weak, pathetic thing that made the other frown in concern. 

"Listen Pigsy, I'm gonna go to bed. It's- I'm tired." He didn't elaborate and Pigsy nodded, watching MK slide off the chair and walk heavily towards the door, concern swarming the man's heart. 

"Goodnight MK." He said, tone unusually soft and MK smiled a small but real smile back. 

"Goodnight Pigsy." And with that the boy was out of the room, leaving the other alone with lots to think about. 

In his room MK finally shifted back into his normal form with a relieved sigh, his tail hanging limply behind him like it was just as tired as he was. Instantly he noticed that he could hear Pigsy moving around in the shop below him, ears twitching as he made his way over to his bed and promptly collapsed on it, burying his face into his pillow. 

The softness and comfort around him, the adrenaline fading from his system, everything that had happened seemed to crash down on him and big, fat droplets of tears fell from his eyes, wetting the pillow covers beneath him as he quietly sobbed.   

Was it so bad that he just wished things could be simple? For a moment he longed to have a normal life, to have grown up with both his dads' on Flower Fruit mountain, being loved and wanted, knowing nothing of the life he'd lived being passed around like an unwanted, used dishcloth, always off balance, always an outcast. 

At least now he knew why he didn't fit in, he thought miserably, tucking himself under his covers and into a ball, his tail coming up to wrap around his trembling frame as he squeezed his eyes shut. He really, really wanted this nightmare to be over now.  

When MK woke up it was to stiff, aching limbs and sore, crusted eyes, his eye-lashes stiff with dried tears that had also soaked into his fur. He felt... bad, was the only way to describe it. Like when you woke up after sleeping and felt like you hadn't gotten enough, never mind how long you'd actually been asleep for.