Seven

Winter

As I sat there in my car just right outside of the coffee shop I kept on thinking on how to thank Giselle and that barista Ningning. They are basically the reason why I had this chance on going on a date with Karina. Maybe I should treat them sometime.

It's almost five so she might be out anytime soon. I asked Giselle earlier on what to wear, where to go, what to do for my date today but the only thing she said was "just be yourself". One of the most important time in my life this year and that's her advice? I mean that's great but that's just her only advice nothing more, she has more to say to me when I asked her which pair of shoes I should get last month.

So I trusted Gi anyway. I just went here to be myself. With a simple shirt on topped with a flannel paired with jeans and finished off with white sneakers. That's me.

A couple more of minutes went by before I saw her exit the coffee shop and I took that as my cue to get out of my car to meet her.

"Hi." I sheepishly greeted her.

"So I assume we're not going on a coffee date then?" She said at me jokingly. Only then did I see her upclose this time. It's five in the afternoon and she still looks beautiful with her hair down, in just a simple white t-shirt topped off with a brown coat. God sure took his time creating her.

"No we won't." Was the only thing I said before I led her to the car. Before I started the engine, I reached back at the backseat to get the flowers I got earlier and handed it to her.

"Daisies?" She asked as she smelled them.

"You look more like a daisy person than a rose one." I replied while trying my best to keep my focus on the road.

"Really? How so?" She asked amused but still had her attention to the flowers.

"I just think your a subtle person, like a daisy you don't stand out too much but you're the most beautiful one out there in the field." I absentmindedly blurted out. I only got a sense of what I have said when I felt her gaze on me. I can see her looking at me from the corner of my eyes. I felt my cheeks heat up and right there and then. And for the first time I hated my skin for being so fair because she obviously knows that I'm blushing. Even the tip of my ears are heating up.

"I'm the most beautiful huh? What a compliment from a painter." She said without loosing her cool. I looked and smiled at her for a second before focusing my attention on the road again because I'm lost for words at the moment. I thought she's gonna tease me about it but she just shrugged it off, you'll never know what to expect from her. Full of surprises indeed.

We stopped at the park and I asked her to walk with me.

"So a park date huh?" She asked while walking. We're walking beside each other and I suddenly felt small. She's taller than me indeed.

"Is it that bad for a first date?" I asked her because if it is, I'll drive us to another place.

"So there's a second date then?" She stopped walking and looked directly into my eyes while smiling. And I stopped functioning when I heard her say that. Second date? Would I be that lucky? Would she agree?

"Hey I was just kidding, no pressure Winter." Karina said while waving a hand at my face to snap me out of my reverie.

"No, I would love to have another date with you, I mean uhm, I mean I would like to take you on more dates if you'd like." I managed to say to her.

She didn't answer any further instead she just turned around held my hand, intertwined our fingers and led us to the bench. And I let her lead me. She dropped my hand as we sat on the bench. After a while of searching her bag she took out a cigarette and lit one, puffing out the smoke away from my direction. I didn't know I was staring at her not until she talked again.

"Bet you didn't expect that I smoke." She said as she blew out the smoke.

"To be honest I didn't. You don't look like the type that would smoke." I said to her while watching the kids that are currently playing in the field in front of us.

"So what type do you think I am then?" She asked with an amused expression, her cigarette dangling in between the fingers of her left hand. She looked so beautiful right there and then with the smoke of her cigarette in the background, the faint sunlight hitting her face, her jet black hair casually let down. She's beautiful.

With outmost sincerity I answered her.

"You look like the type to blend in the crowd but at the same time standout. You look like you don't care about what people think of you. You give out this cold aura but when you smile all bets are off and suddenly you look like you're warm and caring and your eyes says it all. And yes I didn't expect that you smoke but if not it only added to your charm. When it comes to you I don't know what to expect." I said while looking straight into her eyes and I'm proud of myself for not stuttering this time.

"If this wasn't our first date I would have kissed you right now Winter." Karina casually said with a smile on her face.

Kiss? Me? Right now? What? She just continue to amaze me.

"I don't kiss on the first date." She said maybe because she sensed that I didn't know what to say at the moment. I'm sure that if another person was in my place right now they would have come up already with a witty remark in response to her words but I just don't have any words whenever it comes to her.

She suddenly dropped her cigarette and stepped on it, then faced me and said "You aren't speaking, you hungry? Let's get some pizza?"

"Uhm yeah sure." Was the only thing I said.

Pizza for dinner on our first date? No problem.

"Can I ask you a question? I mean it's okay if you don't want to answer it." I said as I took a bite of my pizza.

"Sure, ask away."

"Uhm can you finish a pack of cigarettes in a day?" As soon as I asked her that I lowered my head down because that was such a personal question. I don't know why I wanted to ask her that because I'm curious if she does finish off a pack in a day then how do her lips still look that pinkish?

"And if I say yes, would there still be another date?" She asked me jokingly. She must have seen me blushed so she answered me seriously after that.

"I can't finish a pack a day. I mostly smoke before I shower and after working hours. Maybe four to five sticks a day, seven on bad days?" She said while sipping her coke.

"Do you smoke?" she then asked me.

"No, I don't. I don't like it." I honestly told her.

"Then why did you asked me out then knowing that I smoke?" she looked at me seriously for the first time since our date began.

"Because I like you and the fact that I don't like smoking doesn't have anything to do with me liking you." which was the truth.

"If you didn't like smoking, you probably don't even like the smell of cigarettes too so why didn't you say anything earlier when we were at the park?" she asked again seriously.

"I didn't say anything because I didn't feel the need to. I asked you out already knowing that you smoke so why would I say anything about it? Plus it doesn't smell so bad when you're the one smoking." I said to her. The conversation really took a turn and I'm glad that I haven't stuttered yet. Giselle would be proud.

"You're a sweet talker Winter. You sure you're a painter?" Karina said as she leaned back at her seat, her expression finally relaxes.

After the pizza dinner I drove her home and I finally got her number. I went back at the apartment smiling like a goof ball which made Giselle asked, "You okay? You look dumber than usual?" which I only answered with a shrug and smile.