1.5 Black Heretic

Next day. morning. 

Genya handed me a mirror "Still nothing from Alina."

I froze before sighing "You don't have to update me anymore. You already look stressed enough"

She nodded "You have no idea. The Queen, Her Royal Bossiness, Tatiana, has absolutely no regard for my need to sleep. She woke before dawn and demanded I touch up her face before the rest of her team arrived."

Then she put some lipstick on me. 

Me "I can "accidentally" blind her in the demonstration, if you want me too"

She chuckled "I don't mind, actually. It tends to shift the King's gaze in her direction. At least until nightfall."

I looked at her sadly "Let's just say the Fold is gone. What then? Ravka will be revived. The Second Army won't be as necessary. Grisha will have new opportunities."

She chuckled.

Me "I've always wanted to travel the world. See the True Sea. Visit the library at the University of Ketterdam. Mal always talked about retiring to a farm. Alina and i never really liked farms. But perhaps a dacha in Balakirev. "

Genya "Assuming Saints get to retire."

I nodded " Right. Yeah, there's that."

Genya put a ring on my finger " I know the general insisted on black for the performance, but perhaps after, you could return to blue."

Me "I think I'm going to stick with the black, moving forward."

Genya froze before leaning against the table and driving her hand through my hair "I like seeing you this way... but... I want you to be careful."

I froze "Of what?"

GEnya starred at nothing " Powerful men."

Sudenly there was a knock on the door. 

I called out "come in"

A man walked in "Hi."

I looked at him confused. 

Genya said nervously "Uh, this is David Kostyk. Expert resident Fabrikator. He created the blue light we use for crossing the Fold."

David nodded and handed me a pair of satin gloves "Yeah, the general had me make these for your demonstration this evening."

 I smiled. 

Genya  "They're lovely. "

Me "What do they do?"

David "They'll make it easier to split one beam into two. "

I saw Genya and him looking at each other. She was blushing a little bit. 

I smiled at them. 

David "Your show of power will determine who remains our ally."

I put them on and created a ball of light, two balls of light showed up before disappearing. 

David "They'll help enhance your performance."

Genya "Ingenious."

David looked at her. There was something in his eyes i couldn't tell. Kinda like forbidden desire??

I took the glove off and tried again, it worked better.

Me "I think I'll be all right on my own."

I handed him the gloves.

He nodded "of course"

Then he walked back to the door. 

Genya "See you at the fete!"