The TV

We didn't walk for very long.

I followed the little boy silently as he led the way, leaping over pieces of scrap metal of the junk yard, only to stop by an old TV stacked onto a pile of other busted electronics. It was one of those old TVs with a wooden frame, and dials next to the screen. It looked beautifully vintage actually! I would have taken it home if it wasn't so big and heavy for me, too much of a hassle to carry back to my car...

"Hey!" Mono called for my attention. To my surprise! I think this was the first time he wanted me to notice him.

Once he made sure my eyes were on him, he climbed the pile of junk, and attempted to push the TV. Of course, he was so small the TV wasn't moving at all from his efforts... But he pushed anyway, while looking at me insistently.

''...You want me to push it...?" I asked with a frown, unsure of what the goal here was supposed to be.

But he nodded anyway. And even gave the TV a kick.

A shame... it was such a nice old TV... But I really wanted to show Mono I was on his side. I assumed he was giving me this weird task on purpose to see if I'd actually do something for him. So I approached the TV, and Mono quickly got out of my way, keeping his distance from me.

Pushing the TV over was harder than I thought, but after a really good push, it rolled and crashed all the way down the pile of metal junk, to finally smash its screen into a metal pole down the line.

...

... I could have sworn that I saw the unpowered TV turn on to display strangely ominous and loud static, right before the screen got smashed to pieces.

Mono quickly ran to the busted TV, breathing heavily. Almost trembling.

Oh no. Oh no, did he not want it to break??

"M-Mono...?? Oh no, I'm so sorry!-"

He suddenly started hitting the TV with a metal pipe. No, I guess the plan was still to destroy it. But... why?

"Mono...? Buddy?" I slowly approached him.

He finally looked up at me, back at the TV, and back at me, only to take in a big deep breath while keeping a straight and somewhat proud posture. I have no idea what this TV meant to him, but he looked so relieved to have it broken for good...

"Are you okay?"

He gave me a good nod. Never been better apparently.

"...What was the TV for, buddy? Why did we break it?"

".........It... It takes... to a dangerous place..." He said with a small voice, almost freezing me on the spot. I was starting to believe he would never say a full sentence, yet there it was... and I had no idea what it even meant.

"What?... What do you mean...?"

"..." He just looked down and shook his head, as if to deny he ever said anything...

I sighed, a bit disappointed. But before I could say anything, my phone started ringing.

I saw the instant fight or flight response in Mono, as he jumped away and looked around me in a panic.

"It's okay! It's okay, buddy, just give me a moment-..." I tried to calm him down as I stepped away from him to answer the call. "Hello?"

Of course, it was my boss, telling me that if I was gonna take a sick day, I should at least send them the work I finished yesterday. This was a problem...

I held back a sigh and glanced towards Mono, who had stepped away, watching me with confusion and uncertainty, like he was ready to run away if I started acting any weirder.

As much as I worried about him... I had to go home ASAP.

"Of course. I will... I was getting some Advil. I'm heading home right now." I said as I hung up and lowered the phone, only to witness Mono tilt his head interrogatively.

"It's a phone." I said, raising it for him to see. "I use it to talk with people who are far, far away."

The answer seemed acceptable to him, as his tense shoulders softened, though he still looked curious.

"...I have to leave, Mono. I'm sorry, but there's something I have to do somewhere else."

Hearing me say this, his head perked up a little. It was hard to tell if he was relieved that I'm leaving, or if he was worried...

"...I'll come back tomorrow! Or-... tonight!... Do you want me to come back tonight...?"

He didn't look away from me, and barely hesitated before nodding.

This time I couldn't resist smiling! I felt so lucky that this tiny boy liked me, or even trusted me enough at all!

"Aww~" I succumbed to how endearing he was. It must have been weird to him because he took a step back away from me. "Be careful, Mono. Be safe..."

As soon as I said that though, his wariness seemed to melt away as his stance softened, watching me with curiosity....

And with that I left, quickly making my way back to the junk yard's fence, and climbing over it... Before I headed back to my car, I looked back at the fence behind me, hoping to see Mono. Sadly, there was no sight of him.

But I felt optimistic. He was warming up to me... Hopefully, one day, he might have the courage to follow me home.

I couldn't stand letting this boy live out there all alone.