The fence

It had been about three hours since I stand guard for the night. It was... harder than I expected. I tried to play some games on my phone in silence to keep myself awake, but it had an opposite effect, making my mind melt away even faster... Every once in a while, I glanced at Mono, as to make sure he was still here and sleeping.

Despite being so sleepy, I was getting a bit paranoid. This place was pretty far away from the city lights. It was really dark now, and the dim light of my phone was enough to drown all other light around us, aside from the stars.

While I was mindlessly playing the same game for the 58th time, my body decided to close its eyes, and I gave up trying to fight it. I told myself it was just for a bit...

A thud on the ground right in front of me startled me into waking up, along with Mono it seems, as I heard him gasp in surprise. I quickly looked to the ground to find my phone, screen still glowing. Must have slipped from my hand...

I then looked back to Mono. He stared back at me with a heavy breath, looking a bit tense, and about to push himself up onto his feet with his hands.

"It's okay, I just dropped my phone." I explained as quietly and calmly as I could.

I could only imagine how he felt. He was probably surprised, maybe even shocked that he allowed himself to fall asleep next to me.

"You fell asleep, Mono..." I whispered.

He seemed to calm down, sinking back where he was sitting, but still staring at me in awe. I really hoped he was putting the pieces together, that if I left him alone at his most vulnerable, then it should be clear I really meant no harm...

He let out a small sigh, looking at the ground.

"...Do you want me to leave?"

He hesitated for a moment, and nodded.

Fair enough... It hurt a little bit, but I guess it was understandable he wasn't ready to sleep next to a stranger. Maybe he needed some alone time. To be honest, I was exhausted, I wasn't gonna complain about being sent back home, to my bed. ...But I'd feel better about this if he had his own bed too.

"...Okay..." I said, standing up.

Mono seemed to regret making me get up, quickly scooting a foot away from me to watch me regain my full height.

I watched him with a bit of a sigh. Maybe he was always gonna be a little scared of me, no matter what I do.

"Goodnight, Mono. Go sleep somewhere safe and dry, okay?"

He lowered his head a bit, like he felt guilty, or relieved. "...Good night." He replied.

That was enough to make me smile again, a little at least. Good to know he could still surprise me.

I turned around and left, heading back to the fence as I used my phone to light up the way. I climbed over the fence, and started heading to my car, until I heard something faintly shaking the fence behind me.

"HOi-!..." I heard Mono's voice as I turned, aiming the phone screen at the fence to see him looking at me, hands grasping onto the wire of the fence.

"Mono? What are you doing, buddy??..." I whispered as I approached the fence.

He stared at me, a bit agitated, but not moving from his spot. "You-... Will you come back?..."

I felt warm inside... He really did like me, despite his fear. "...Yes, I will." I replied, crouching down in front of him. My proximity didn't seem to worry him in the slightest, thanks to the fence between us. In fact, he almost seemed comforted, becoming less agitated against the wires.

"...Thank you..." He said.

I was melting! On the inside. "Of course, Mono... You shouldn't be alone. Do you understand?"

He just stared at me, though the holes of his paper bag, until he looked at the ground next to me. I suddenly heard a sniffle from him, and saw him slip a hand under his paper bag to wipe his face...

"...Mono? Are... are you crying...?"

He sniffled again.

Oh, there was no way I could leave now... I kneeled down, almost leaning against the fence. "Hey... it's okay, buddy. Everything is okay."

To my surprise, he sort of copied me and sat down, looking at the ground. We stayed there in silence for a moment...

I took a risk, and curled my fingers through the fence. "Here... do you want to hold my hand? I promise I won't move."

He looked up at me, hesitating. Before I even had to say something else, he slowly raised a hand to place it over mine. His hand was barely a fourth of mine, and it was cold... dirty too. My heart was already aching enough.

"..." I sighed. "Oh God, buddy... Don't you want to come with me? To my home? It's warm, with food, it's just me there, and-... You don't have to come inside if you don't like it, but-..." I lost my words, getting a bit desperate. I didn't think I could stand letting this kid live like this anymore. 

He stared at my hand, I assumed deep in thoughts, thinking of the risks. He had a pretty strong grip. It hurt a little.

The silence was making me nervous, annoying even, but before I could find what else to say, he replied;

"Tomorrow." He said firmly, letting go of me to stand up, and with another sniffle, slipped a hand under his bag to wipe his cheek.

"...You'll want to see my home tomorrow?"

He nodded.

I took a deep breath and let out a quiet sigh of relief, nodding in agreement. "Got it... I'll be back... Go get some sleep, buddy..." I was tired, too.

He gave me a small nod, taking a few steps away from the fence, and slowly started to walk away, glancing back at me a few times as he did so.

And I watched until he was out of sight. Once he was, I hesitantly stepped away, and continued in the opposite direction he left...

I thought about the situation while I was driving home. Thank God tomorrow was Saturday... I had to make sure I wouldn't mess this up, make sure I think of everything that could make him uneasy, from the ride home to showing him around my home. Did he even know what a car is? I wasn't even sure I could get him to come inside one... Unless I go on foot for this time...?

I was getting a headache. I'd think about all that in the morning...