02.

Now, there are a couple of versions of what happened that night. It all depends on who you ask and to be honest I'm not always the most reliable narrator...

Grace shouldered her way through a wall of sweaty bodies

Grace shouldered her way through a wall of sweaty bodies. The bass was making her insides tremble and her mouth was dry from vaping earlier. She almost fell over her feet, dizzy from the music, the hunger, the vodka she had downed earlier.

She didn't like mixing her drinks. Her dislike for rum-and-coke, vodka orange juice and punch stemmed from her good ol' days of obsessive cardio and calorie-counting. Vodka packed less calories than beer and got you fucked faster. Especially after an afternoon of fasting.

The only thing you really had to watch out for was not to overdo it too fast, or you'd end up getting sick before the party even started. It had happened to her in her freshman year. Nate held back her hair and fucked up the kid who thought it'd be funny to film her.

She was more experienced now. Still, when she passed a table, she snatched the whole bottle of Smirnoff. For later, she told herself.

Needing some fresh air, she made her way out to the garden. The back porch was packed with people from school she had never spoken to before and a few college guys were soaking in the swimming pool. No sign of her friends. Where the fuck had BB disappeared?

"Yo, wanna join in?" called a male voice, drawing everyone's attention was on her. Their eyes made her want to pull her dress lower. Could they see her panties from where they were sitting in the pool?

She shook her head and half turned to leave, when a wet, cold hand curled around her ankle and yanked. Grace let out a yelp and kicked toward her assailant. They laughed and she stumbled back, slamming into a body behind her. She whipped around and met a pair of baby blue eyes.

She froze on the spot, eyes wide, her drunk brain fighting to process what had just happened.

It was the dealer from the liquor store, his hands wrapped around her arms to steady her. "All good, ma?" he asked.

His voice was nothing like she expected it to be. Blue lights from the pool danced across his face. He smelled of weed and something fresh, almost spicy, like an aftershave, but not quite, well definitely not the kind Nate used...

"Uh, sorry," she mumbled and tore herself away. Unsteady from the lack of support, she stumbled back into the living room, her face burning.

Half an hour later and still no sign of Kat or BB. She spotted Maddie making out with some older guy on the dance floor. It made her feel too sober for the shit that was guaranteed to go down. She took another swig of vodka.

"Yo, Ace! Bitch, slow down," called a familiar voice behind her.

"There you are!" Grace laughed, turning around and almost bumping into BB. She quickly linked their arms. "Where the fuck have you gone to? I almost got my ass raped by some frat boy."