Chapter Four

Abby sits bouncing her leg when her brother walks over to her from the direction of the lab "They wouldn't let me in." he tells her. "What now?" she asks. "Try and talk some sense into Claire." Owen responds before they walk down to the lobby. They spot Claire and start to walk over "Claire!" Owen calls making her turn and rush over. "I need you." she tells them. "Okay..." Owen trails off. "I need your help. My nephews, they're out in the Valley. Please, if anything happens to them..." Claire starts. Owen leads Claire away from the crowd, Abby following "How old?" he asks her. "The older one, he's um... he's uh... high school age. The younger one, he's... um... He's a few years..." Claire stumbles on her words. "You don't know how old your nephews are?" Abby asks confused. Claire opens her mouth but doesn't say anything "Come on let's find a Jeep." Owen says leading them outside.

They drive to the Valley where the GyroSpheres go and stop the jeep "Stay in the car." Owen tells Claire, knowing that Abby won't listen either way. The siblings climb out and Abby feels tears gather in her eyes as they walk over to a fatally injuried Apatosaurus. They both kneel down and put a gentle hand on the dinosaur "Hey, hey. I know, I know. It's all right. All right, girl." Abby comforts softly. Claire climbs out the jeep and walks over to join them, accidentally startling the dinosaur as she puts a gentle hand on her neck. The Apatosaurus raises her head, bellowing, before lying down again "Okay. Okay, okay. You're okay." Owen tells her softly. Abby feels her tears fall as the dinosaur dies, Owen stands up and looks out into the Valley. Abby stands and lets out a gasp as they see dead, uneaten Apatosaurus', Claire lets out a gasp of her own as she joins them "It didn't eat them. It's killing for sport." Owen tells them. Abby looks round before spotting a gap in the fence "Owen." she says, getting his attention before pointing to the gap. Owen nods and leads them down the track that has been made, they walk along before finding the GyroSphere completely destroyed "Hey, there. I'm Jimmy Fallon. Welcome aboard the GyroSphere, an amazing machine made possible by science-- Hey --, there. Your safety is our main concern. Now just re--lax and enjo--y the ride." the audio cuts off as it completely dies. Claire sees Zach's smashed phone and walks over, picking it up "No, no, no." she panics. "Hey. They made it out." Owen assures her pointing to footprints in the mud.

They make their way to the top of a waterfall where Owen and Abby notices the footprints leading to the edge "My God, they jumped." Claire realises in shock. "Brave kids." Owen remarks making Abby nod. As she does Claire starts yelling "Zach! Gray!" she shouts. Owen places a hand over her mouth and shushes her "Hey! I am not one of your damn animals." Claire tells him angrily. "Listen, those kids are still alive, but you, Abby and I will not be if you continue to scream like that." Owen tells her. "So... You can pick up their scent, can't you? Uh, track their footprints?" Claire asks quietly. Abby and Owen stare at her in disbelief "He was with the Navy, not the Navajo." Abby tells her. "So then what should we do? What do you suggest we do?" Claire asks. "You get back. Abby and I'll find them." Owen tells her. "No, we'll find them." Claire retorts. "You'll last two minutes in there." Owen tells her. "Less, in those ridiculous shoes." Abby adds looking at Claire's heels. Claire glares and undoes her belt before unbuttoning her shirt to reveal a purple tank top underneath. She ties the bottom of her shirt before putting her hands on her hips "What is that supposed to mean?" Owen asks. "It means I'm ready to go." Claire responds. "Okay. Let's get one thing straight. I'm in charge out here. You do everything I say, exactly as I say it." Owen tells her. "Excuse me?" Claire asks. "Just relax. It's just like taking a stroll through the woods. 65 million years ago." Owen says. "With a giant genetic hybrid after us." Abby mumbles as Claire sighs and starts to walk off. The siblings watch her go before taking one last look at the giant footprint the dinosaur left and following.