Chapter seven (Shadow/Pollen)

Shadow saw something. Something very very bad.

Thorn was lying on the ground, and almost dead.

"Oh my gosh, noooo!!" she wailed and started crying. Thorn was not her favorite, but he was her only friend. She was close to him, and he was friendly and kind, even though Shadow was being rude to him.

It's all my fault.... If I had gone with Thorn instead of  refusing, maybe he would have a better chance.... Wait, what are you doing you mouse-brain! There is time to save him if I get Pollen!

Shadow was thinking to run to Pollen, but maybe it would be too late. She went to a nearby brook, and got some water. She poured it on Thorn, and he was able to talk a little.

"Mom?..... Is..... you?....... wolf killed..... brown color......." he managed to say, and lied still, without another word.

"Nooo!" she shouted. He will not leave us! He will not!

She scrambled to Pollen and told her the news.

"Oh my god!" she said. "Have you buried it?" she asked.

"Yes. I did" Shadow said.

They sobbed for a while, and went hunting. Just then, Pollen found a scroll in the woods. "Look what it says!" she said and gasped.

 "Look what it says!" she said and gasped

"But what if it's a trap...?" Shadow said.

"I think it's time to tell you something. Thorn, is the future of the world." she said.

They planned on starting the next day, and gathered a lot of food. 

I hope I'm doing the right thing.... Shadow thought.