―xviii. airborne

NAOMI WOKE UP FIRST. The room was still relatively dim, the weak morning sunlight not having made it to the bedroom window just yet.

She and Percy had moved in their sleep, so she woke with Percy plastered to her back like a koala bear, his arm thrown over her waist. He was still fast asleep, judging by his slow, deep breaths.

Like she was dismantling a bomb, Naomi carefully extracted herself from Percy's grip, wincing more than once when he shifted in his sleep, sure she'd woken him up. Luckily, though, he stayed asleep, taking one of the pillows hostage when Naomi finally managed to get out of bed.

She slipped quietly into the bedroom she was supposed to have shared with Hazel (who was still, thankfully, fast asleep) and grabbed a clean set of clothes before going into the bathroom. When she emerged a few minutes later, bladder empty, face clean, and teeth brushed, Hazel was just sitting up.

"Morning," Hazel said through a yawn.

Naomi smiled. "Good morning," she said. "I'm gonna go make breakfast. See you down there?"

Hazel nodded sleepily. "See you."

Naomi smiled again and headed downstairs. After considering what was in the fridge and pantry, she settled on pancakes (mostly because the box of pancake mix came with a recipe and instructions). She didn't really know what she was doing, though she wasn't sure if she could attribute that to her slowly fading amnesia or if she'd ever learned how to make pancakes at all.

Hazel came down as Naomi poked the first pancake with a fork, trying to decide if it was too soft or just right.

Hazel raised a brow at Naomi's clear concentration. "Need help?"

Naomi's face flushed. "I don't think I've ever made pancakes before," she admitted. "...I also can't remember if I've ever eaten them, either."

Hazel chuckled softly, still looking a little sleepy. "Nico said his sister was a terrible cook," she told Naomi. "Maybe he was talking about you."

Naomi scowled lightheartedly. "What a jerk," she said. Then, after a moment of thought, she said, "I had a dream about him last night. I think it was a memory."

Hazel sat down on a stool at the island, resting her cheek on her hand. "That must confirm it, then, right? You were close, like brother-and-sister."

"I guess it does," Naomi said, nixing the first pancake and trying again. Looking back at Hazel, she added, "I guess it means we're sisters, too."

Hazel smiled. "At least I finally have a sibling who isn't allergic to emotions and affection," she joked. "It's a nice change."

Naomi grinned back at her. "We'll get Nico there eventually."

By the time Naomi (and Hazel, who jumped in to help when Naomi started to burn the second pancake) got breakfast cooked, Percy was just coming downstairs, dressed but clearly still half-asleep. Frank was still nowhere in sight. Naomi hoped he'd gotten a decent night's sleep.

"Morning," Hazel greeted Percy.

"Morning," Percy mumbled. "Are the ogres still out there?"

"Last we checked," Naomi answered. "Breakfast?"

"Please."

The trio ate in companionable silence. When they were done, Hazel volunteered to take a plate up to Frank, so Naomi and Percy cleaned up.

"I had a dream last night," Naomi said as they finished up. "About us and Annabeth."

"So did I," Percy said. "What was yours about?"