―i. nothing else matters

THE ROMAN CAMPERS GATHERED IN THE FORUM as the warship came to a hovering stop over the city. Naomi didn't understand what hold up was at first, but then she realized Terminus must have had a full-blown aneurysm at the sight of a Greek warship trying to land in his city. Really, it was a miracle the warship hadn't been blown out of the sky.

But all thoughts of Terminus and the warship vanished as Annabeth Chase disembarked.

She looked the same as she did in Naomi's memories, in her best dreams—curls the color of honey, storm-cloud eyes scanning the crowd and the environment critically, her head held high even in the face of Roman scrutiny.

She was so beautiful.

The Romans parted for Annabeth as she walked through the forum, then for Reyna as she stepped forward. Naomi held her breath as the two girls considered each other.

Three more teenagers fanned out on either side of Annabeth—Piper, Leo, and Jason. The Romans murmured Jason's name, staring at him in awe.

But none of that mattered to Naomi when she caught Annabeth's gaze.

Time slowed to a stop in the best way possible. Naomi's face split into an unstoppable grin.

In her peripheral, Naomi saw Reyna straighten. With reluctance, she turned in Jason's direction.

"Jason Grace, my former colleague. I welcome you home. And these, your friends—"

Naomi didn't make it to the end of Reyna's sentence. She was running before she even thought to move, her feet taking her back to Annabeth, who was already moving to meet her halfway.

And then Annabeth was there, and they were together, and Naomi's feet left the ground as Annabeth hugged her. She laughed breathlessly, her eyes aching with tears of pure joy.

They kissed, and nothing else in the world mattered.

Annabeth set her back on her feet, hands cradling Naomi's face. "You're here," she breathed.

"I'm here," Naomi whispered.

She kissed Annabeth one more time, for good measure.

Then she moved back just in time for Percy to throw his arms around their girlfriend. They kissed and Naomi's face hurt from how hard she was smiling. An asteroid could have hit the planet and wiped out all life, and Naomi wouldn't have cared.

Percy pulled away and studied Annabeth's face. "Gods, I never thought—"

Annabeth grabbed his wrist and flipped him over her shoulder. He slammed into the grass. Romans gasped.

Annabeth put her knee on Percy's chest, her forearm against his throat. "If you ever leave me again," she said, her eyes shining, "I swear to all the gods—"

Percy had the nerve to laugh. "Consider me warned," he said. "I missed you, too."

Annabeth rose and helped him to his feet.

Jason cleared his throat. "So, yeah... It's good to be back."

He introduced Reyna to Piper, then to Leo (who, naturally, flashed the Romans a peace sign).

"And this is Annabeth," Jason said. "Uh, normally she doesn't judo-flip people."

Reyna's eyes sparked. "You sure you're not a Roman, Annabeth? Or an Amazon?"

Annabeth held out her hand. "I only attack my boyfriend like that," she promised. "Pleased to meet you."

Reyna clasped her hand firmly. "It seems we have a lot to discuss. Centurions!"