―xx. all we have

THE STATION WASN'T FAR. They were just in time to buy tickets for the last train south. As the rest of them climbed on board, Percy said, "Be with you in a sec," and ran back into the station.

He joined them just as the train started to depart. He slid into his seat, expression crestfallen.

Naomi reached for his hand. "You okay?"

"Yeah," he croaked. "Just... made a call."

No one asked for details.

Soon they were heading south along the coast, watching the landscape.

Cool things kept happening outside, distracting Naomi from thoughts about the quest, which was probably best.

Bald eagles soared overhead. The train raced over bridges and along cliffs where glacial waterfalls tumbled thousands of feet down the rocks. They passed forests buried in snowdrifts, big artillery guns (to set off small avalanches and prevent uncontrolled ones, Hazel explained), and lakes so clear, they reflected the mountains like mirrors, so the world looked upside down.

Brown bears lumbered through the meadows. Hyperborean giants kept appearing in the strangest places. One was lounging in a lake like it was a hot tub. Another was using a pine tree as a toothpick. A third sat in a snowdrift, playing with two live moose like they were action figures. The train was full of tourists ohhing and ahhing and snapping pictures, but Naomi felt sorry they couldn't see the Hyperboreans. They were missing the really good shots.

Meanwhile, Frank studied a map of Alaska that he'd found in the seat pocket. He located Hubbard Glacier, which looked discouragingly far away from Seward. He kept running his finger along the coastline, frowning with concentration.

"What are you thinking?" Percy asked.

"Just... possibilities," Frank said.

About an hour in, Naomi started to relax. They bought hot chocolate from the dining car. The seats were warm and comfortable, and she considered taking a nap.

Then a shadow passed overhead. Tourists murmured in excitement and started taking pictures.

"Eagle!" one yelled.

"Eagle?" said another.

"Huge eagle!" said a third.

"That's no eagle," Frank said.

Naomi looked up just in time to see the creature make a second pass. It was definitely larger than an eagle, with a sleek body the size of a Labrador retriever. Its wingspan was at least ten feet across.

"There's another one!" Frank pointed. "Strike that. Three, four. Okay, we're in trouble."

The creatures circled the train like vultures, delighting the tourists. Naomi couldn't share their excitement. The monsters had glowing red eyes, sharp beaks, and vicious talons.

"Those things look familiar..." Percy said.

"Seattle," Hazel said. "The Amazons had one in a cage. They're—"

Several things happened at once. The emergency brake screeched, pitching them forward. Tourists screamed and tumbled through the aisles. The monsters swooped down, shattering the glass roof of the car, and the entire train toppled off the rails. 

At this point, Naomi shouldn't have even been surprised. 

Her vision blurred as she tumbled off of the train car, hitting the ground hard. She pushed herself back to her feet quickly, summoning Hemlock and Asphodel and looking around. One of the creatures dove for her, and Naomi slashed through it, watching it explode into golden dust that seeped into Asphodel like water into dirt.