―xvi. alive

NAOMI WOKE IN THE MIDDLE OF A BATTLEFIELD with the world's worst headache. She groaned in pain, registering the cold hard ground beneath her. It felt like tightly-packed dirt, which was a good sign—Tartarus's floor had been broken glass. 

This floor definitely didn't feel like broken glass. 

It took all her strength and a few seconds for Naomi to manage to lift her head. She saw a single pair of feet directly in front of her, and the feet of what could only be another giant a few feet away. 

Next to her, Naomi heard Percy mutter about Bob. On her other side, Annabeth groaned in pain. 

This time, the relief didn't make Naomi nauseous. They were alive. They were alive

For now, at least. 

The giant's feet came closer, and Naomi caught a glimpse of a sword in his hand. He said something, but Naomi's head was still swimming too hard for her to catch the whole of it. All she really caught was something about Hecate and faith. 

"I cannot answer his accusations, Hazel," said a voice Naomi didn't recognize. "This is your crossroads. You must choose."

Yes, crossroads. Laughter echoed in whatever room or cavern they were in. The giant monologued some more, but Naomi barely heard him, her focus on the Doors behind the giant's smoky form. They were still chained to this side, shuddering against the binds. As long as they were held down, Gaea could still control them.  

Someone nearby coughed like an asthmatic. "I'm loving this guy," the someone—Leo?—wheezed. "Seriously, we should keep him around for inspirational seminars. Or I could just light him up."

"Leo, no." Okay, that was definitely Hazel—alive and decidedly not dead, unlike the arai had made Naomi believe, which must have meant that Nico was alive. At least, Naomi really hoped it did. "My father's temple. My call."

"Yeah, okay. But—" 

Naomi managed to find her voice. "Hazel," she wheezed. "The chains..." 

She heard a sharp inhale as Hazel realized what was wrong. 

You can't seriously believe you have the strength, the giant chided. what will you do, Hazel Levesque—pelt me with more rubies? Shower me with sapphires?

Hazel gave him an answer in the form of raising her sword and charging. 

Naomi managed to lift her head enough to watch her sister come straight at the giant, who was slow raising his sword. By the time he slashed, Hazel had ducked between his legs and jabbed her Imperial gold blade into his backside. 

The giant roared and arched his back, waddling away from her. Mist swirled around Hazel's form, hissing as it met the giant's black smoke. 

Leo knelt down next to Naomi, pushing a piece of ambrosia against her lips. "C'mon, Nay, stay with us." 

It took more effort than Naomi liked, but she managed to chew and swallow. She could feel the magic food healing the worst of her fatigue and pain, but her strength was another issue entirely. Slowly, though, she felt it begin to return.

Hazel sprinted toward the Doors of Death. Her blade shattered the chains on the left side like they were made of ice. She lunged to the right, but the giant yelled, NO!

By sheer luck, she wasn't cut in half. The flat of the giant's blade caught her in the chest and sent her flying. 

Leo screamed her name, and the giant turned his focus on the rest of them.