1.

"Rory! Are you packed yet? We have a four hour car ride ahead of us." My mom yelled at my from down the stairs. I plugged my earbuds into my little IPod touch 4 I had gotten for Christmas. Linkin Park's "Burn it Down" came on as I finished packing up all my clothes for my trip.

"Mom, I'm almost ready. I just need to put a couple things away." I said hurrying up. I wasn't totally excited about this trip. We were going to a mountain lake for a month with some family friends. I couldn't complain to my mom though, she's known both the parents since she was my age, 15.

"Oh I heard their son is bringing a couple friends with him. Maybe there'll be someone your age you can hang out with." My mom said walking up the stairs to my room.

"Of course he is mom, he's Joel Hokka." I said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. I've known Joel since I was born. He's hot, like very hot. But he's also the most self centered, loud, and obnoxious asshole. Regardless of that I've had a crush on him since I was 9 years old.

I finished packing and placed my thick suitcase in the back of the car. I heard running from the stairs and I could only assume it was my brother. My assumptions were correct as a 4'8 gremlin came running outside and into the backseat of the car.

Then, we were off. I sat in the front seat and just watched the world go by. My mom had some crappy song on and I wasn't into it but it's not like I could say that without her getting mad.

After what seemed like forever we ended up at the house we rented for the month. The Hokka's were already there so we just walked in.

"Ah Matilda, so happy to see you." Mrs. Hokka stood up as we walked in the door. I wasn't close with them so I just stood there awkwardly. "Oh Rory, how you've grown since the last time I saw you!" Mrs. Hokka exclaimed, opening her arms for a hug. I gave her a brisk hug before leaving to get the rest of the luggage.

"Dude, your dad is a total buzzkill." I heard a voice say behind me as I was grabbing a bag out of the trunk. My heart sped up as I recognised that voice, Joonas Porko. What was he doing here? I didn't know he was friends with Joel?

"Bro I know right. This month is going to be lame as hell if he keeps bossing me around like that." I heard another familiar voice. This time my hands got all clammy and I had to rub them on my shorts. The voices got closer and I turned to see three boys standing behind me. I immediately noticed Joonas and Joel but there was a taller boy behind them.

"We're supposed to help you out." Joonas said scratching his neck. I moved over a bit to allow them for better access to the rest of the luggage before I brought a bag in.

I came outside to close the trunk and noticed all the boys had left. My mom decided to take her big truck and me being on the shorter side couldn't exactly reach and pull down the trunk. I was able to grab the handle but the door was too heavy. I pulled and pulled but wasn't able to get anywhere. I decided to try and jump up and close it.

I jumped up and got the top of the door but when I tried to pull it down my foot hit the back of the car so I slipped onto the pavement. Looking down I noticed my knees got all scratched up but that wasn't my biggest worry. My biggest worry was that the trunk still wasn't closed. I stood up and groaned.

"Do you need any help?" Joel's tall friend asked me. I gave him a look as if that was the dumbest question ever and he let out a slight chuckle. He walked over and reached up to close the trunk, which he did with ease. I groaned again as my knees started to hurt.

"Thanks" I muttered over my shoulder as I walked inside. I found myself sitting on a bench in the dining room dabbing at my cuts with a damp paper towel.