two

• C a m e r o n •

.

Immediately after I had shouted at that Evelyn chick, a wave of guilt washed over me.

The feeling of regret I felt was awkward and alien; I had not felt such a feeling in several years.

She attempted to make her expression unreadable, but I could see the tears threatening to fall from her piercing jade eyes.

We walked to class in silence, so I took that opportunity to examine the building that I would now visit five times a week. The school building seemed to be approximately a century old, but it was very well maintained and had several modern enhancements too.

The students who had passed by stared suspiciously at me, though the girls seemed to throw me flirty looks. I responded with a suggestive smile myself, then focused my attention to a different class that we were passing.

"C-C-Cameron," a timid voice said, "We're here."

I found myself staring at a wooden door that was painted crimson.

Evelyn reached out to grab the doorknob, but I swiftly grabbed it midway.

"Summers?"

"Yeah?" she looked vulnerable.

"I-I'm sorry. For being rude."

I said this unwillingly and with a slight grimace. Suddenly, I felt that I was the vulnerable one; apologising was one of the most difficult things that anybody could do, especially me.

"Don't mention it," she replied.

I let her arm go and opened the door for both of us. The class paused and gave Evelyn and I inquiring looks.

"Th-This i-is the new student, Madam." Summers said to a squat middle aged woman who stood at an interactive whiteboard and was halfway through writing an equation.

"Ah, the new boy!" she said, "Its a pleasure to meet you...."

"Cameron. Cameron Dallas." I said with no emotion whatsoever in both my face and voice.

"Well, it's very nice to meet you Cameron. Please take a seat next to Nash, the last student on the third row. NASH! Raise your hand!"

I grinned for the first time and looked up to see the slumped form of my best friend.

Nash's electric blue eyes flew open at the mention of his name and his gaze incredulously travelled to meet mine.

"C.A-" he began saying but then shut his mouth quickly. I shot him a look of warning. For a second, he looked scared, then tough, and then transformed into the casual teenage boy everybody thought him to be.

"I mean, Cam! What are you doing here?"

I glanced at my peers as I ambled slowly towards Grier's desk. They all seemed to be stereotyped rich kids: from the expensive clothing to the snobby attitudes. At the back of the room sat Summers, alone, even though a few seats were available towards the front. Was she unpopular? No, she couldn't be. As much as I hated to admit it, the girl was beautiful. Usually, my brain sorted girls into three categories: fuckable, unfuckable and friends or family. Evelyn's face however, looked alarmingly sweet and almost entirely make-up free. She had flowing dirty blonde hair that almost reached her waist and you could clearly see her slender thighs through her skinny jeans. A few people from the two rows in front were chatting with her animatedly. Evelyn did not seem to be contributing much to the conversation, but she occasionally raised her head that was perched tiredly on the table and half heartedly joined in.