five

• E v e l y n •

.

None of our group seemed very pleased with our arrangements, especially Cameron, who looked as though he was mentally plotting my death.

We were currently seated in our common room, a large enclosed area with five beds on one end. Opposite the beds were a television, games console and a snooker table. Apparently, this would be the designated room for our group, where we would spend all our excess time.

Matt occasionally smiled reassuringly at me, which was just about the only acknowledgment I received for the next hour or so.

The tension was so dense that you could almost slice it with a knife. Boy was I tempted to go down to the restaurant and steal some of their cutlery, just in case.

"You're wearing my jacket," Cameron eventually broke the lingering silence, looking at me questioningly and wearing a ghost of a smile.

My face heated up in mortification.

"I-I'm s-sorry. I-I was s-supposed to return it this m-morning."

"Nevermind, you can keep it."

"N-n-"

"Keep it!" he snapped.

I didn't dare argue, and mumbled my gratitude. He wore an amused expression but accepted my thanks with a slight nod.

As much as I hated to admit it, a small part of me had lit up at the prospect of keeping the jacket. It smelt like him, an intoxicating concoction of a variety of scents. The cigarette smoke had thankfully disappeared, so I no longer smelt like a chimney. Honestly, what was the appeal in practically turning yourself into a human furnace and simultaneously damaging your lungs?

"What are we going to do?" Gilinsky questioned. It was the first time I had heard him talk, and I was rather surprised. Jack always looked the most intimidating, so I half expected him to sound like the same way, but his voice was quite the opposite, sounding more like a normal boy.

"I truly don't know," Matt answered, glancing at me in concern.

I had a feeling that they weren't talking about this trip.

"D'you think Jack will make it back safely?"

There was another Jack?

"Dunno," Nash responded, looking slightly nervous, "I hope so."

"What about Shawn and Taylor?"

"Do you really think that he'd have chosen them if they wouldn't be able to do it?" Cameron shouted, "Lay off!"

The others nodded obediently and the strangled silence returned. I tried to say something, but it felt as though a sharp rock had just been forced down my diaphragm.

"Evelyn, can I talk to you? In private," Matt said, glancing warningly at the boys.

Cameron's nostrils flared in anger, but he nodded slightly.

I stood up and followed Matthew into the bathroom.

"Any reason why you need to talk to me?" I laughed nervously.

"I just wanted to say that things will be rather...tense around here."

"Why?"

He continued as though I had not just spoken, "I know that this will sound extremely random to you, but whatever you do, please stick with us at all times."

"What?"

"I'm begging you!"

"Why would you ask me that?"