Chapter eleven//Dinner

HOTCH AND THE TEAM HAD SPENT THE LAST TEN OR SO MINUTES RUSHING AROUND

HOTCH AND THE TEAM HAD SPENT THE LAST TEN OR SO MINUTES RUSHING AROUND. They each talked hurriedly amongst themselves and to other police, including the chief. Now knowing that Daniel's final target was me, it's like the whole perceptive on it had changed to me.

"Prentiss, Reid, you two take Davis to the apartment." Hotch ordered, then turning to the chief. "I want more police outside the building and in the lobby. Davis doesn't go anywhere without police escorts."

The way Hotch spoke was like something had flipped in his head. It was like knowing what Daniel's plan was changed it all and,I suppose, it really did. He seemed even more determined which I wasn't sure was possible, he sounded somewhat angry but not too angry. I guess he couldn't be.

I suddenly felt even more dread and worry than before. I became more paranoid of the people around me as my eyes darted around the room, scanning each person as though I was deciding them to be friend or foe.

Prentiss lead me out of the building with Reid following closely behind me. A relatively large group of police walked behind us and split off to their cars as we went to the black SUV.

I sat in the back whilst the two agents were in the front with Prentiss driving. Reid read over the files on Daniel's profile they had given him, his brows furrowed deep, creating wrinkles on his forehead.

"Our profile was slightly wrong." He said, "when we profiled Daniel, we said he had no final motive, that he was simply doing it because he felt compelled to."

Prentiss turned her head to look over at the man before focusing on the road again. "Our profiles are slightly wrong sometimes. All we can do is correct them and carry on."

Reid looked up from the file, glancing between the two of us. "Did you guys know, there are far more male psychopaths then female. The percentages being 1% male and 0.3-0.7 female?" He spoke quite confidently with slightly raised eyebrows.

Prentiss rolled her eyes with a slight smile at the man.

"I did actually." I responded. "Surprisingly, I have to know stuff like that for my job."

As soon as I said it, I regretted it. I shook my head that hung low and my eyes shut as I pressed my finger tips to my forehead. "I'm sorry. I'm just-" I started but never finished that sentence. "I'm sorry." I repeated.

"It's okay." Reid nodded. "Your job is actually very impressive, so your knowledge on profiling and different disorders must be crazy. I'm slightly jealous." He continued, a smile growing on his lips as he looked at me from over the back of his seat.

I smiled back but looked out the window with my chin resting on the ball of my palm. "Yeah." I hummed quietly, staying like that the rest of the drive.

⚠︎︎⚠︎︎⚠︎︎

Prentiss and Reid would send a nod or a small wave to the police that waited outside the building and in the lobby. Both of the agents walked either side of me with their hands ready to grab their guns and a police officer opened the door to the building for us.

"Uh, Prentiss you head back to station, I'll walk Davis to her apartment." Reid told the other woman and, when asked if he was sure, he nodded with his lips folded inwards.

"Okay." Prentiss then turned to me, "remember, if you need anything, you have my number. I'm happy to drive you anywhere."

"Thank you, Prentiss." I smiled at the brunette gratefully.

She placed a hand on my upper arm with a gentle smile, "Call me Emily." She said, keeping the smile which I still returned with a nod.

Once Prentiss, Emily, had left out the lobby and driven off in the black SUV, Reid and I were on our way upstairs and didn't take long to reach the apartment.

The two of us hovered outside the door as I unlocked it but I didn't yet open it. Reid hesitated to leave, stuttering as he tried to say a goodbye but for whatever reasons couldn't.

"Uh..I'll uh, I think I'm gonna stay outside with one of the police officers tonight. Just make sure you settle in okay tonight." Reid eventually yet quietly said before turning and leaving down the corridor with a final goodbye from me.

I would have told him he needn't have to but he was gone before I could.

⚠︎︎⚠︎︎⚠︎︎

A couple hours had passed and I was busying myself with making dinner. Granted, it was exactly making it, it was rather me placing picky bits on a large selection plate and sticking a pre-made pizza in the oven which I would accompany with a glass of wine but still.

I sat down on the sofa with the food laid out on the long coffee table, my feet up on the chair with wine glass in my hand.

As I turned on the tv, I felt somewhat lonely and also a sense of paranoia sweep over me. What was wrong with me lately? Oh right, Daniel Butcher is after me.

Doing the first thing that came to mind, I placed the glass down beside my food and stood, pulling on a pair of white slip on sneakers before opening the door and heading downstairs and outside.

I wandered over to the police car where I spotted Reid's head resting on the back of his seat with a book in his hand, his eyebrows narrowing as he read.

My knuckles lightly hit the glass of the window, causing Reid to slightly jump but relax once he saw it was me. He opened the door and I stepped back as he got out of the car, now towering above me.

"Did you want to come in for dinner?"

________________________________

A/N: this chapter felt low-key messy but I didn't know how else to write it, so, I'm sorry if it's a bit meh :) <3

I promise, you will get a bunch more soft Spencer scenes with Lillia :)