Chapter twelve// Spencer

LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT BY INVITING REID FOR DINNER ONE TIME WOULD MEAN INVITING HIM EVERY OTHER TIME TOO

LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT BY INVITING REID FOR DINNER ONE TIME WOULD MEAN INVITING HIM EVERY OTHER TIME TOO. But I can't say I would change it if I had known. He had been staying into the late hours of the evening most nights for the last week and it hasn't been anything but nice. He was good company and we were now on a first name bases.

There hadn't been much progress on the case but the team were still determined. Daniel had appeared to have been keeping quiet and hadn't been seen by anyone. No movement was made on his behalf.

Currently, Reid and I were sat on the sofa with a plate of pasta in our laps each with our glasses of juice on the coffee table and a bowl of crisps between them.

I was sat cross-legged where as Reid let his legs hang over the edge of the sofa and sat up with a straight back compared to my slouch.

I clicked buttons on the tv remote as I tried to find something for us to watch but was having no luck. We had already watched most of the things we both liked and, it turns out, we didn't like many of the same films.

"Twilight?" I suggested.

He furrowed his brows and turned his head to look at me. "What's it about?"

I widened my eyes and raised my eyebrows at the man beside me. "Seriously? You don't know what twilight is?" He simply shrugged. "Not even the books?" Reid still looked as clueless as before.

I shook my head and muttered to myself, "wow."

Eventually, we settled on something and relaxed into eating our meal as we watched it intently. However, as the film went on, I found my eyes gazing off and my thoughts running elsewhere. Daniel Butcher was after me. It felt like I had lost most freedom that I had before and that sucked. I felt crap, all the time. Well, most of the time.

I turned my head, looking forward at the man sat on the other end of the sofa. I felt less crap with him. The little things like watching films with him or (what would be his choice) watching tv shows about different types of serial killers or something like that.

Reid's focus on the tv faded as he caught my eye and looked back at me, his eyes sinking into mine. "Are you okay?"

"Does the feeling of being paranoid ever go away?"

I saw Reid swallow but not his food, more the lump in his throat. He thought for a moment before speaking. "Of course it does. Once everything is done with Daniel, it will go away."

"Promise?" I asked with my voice breaking, "because I'm really sick of feeling scared all the time."

Reid nodded firmly. "I promise."

⚠︎︎⚠︎︎⚠︎︎

Morning arose and I woke up but not on my bed. I rolled my head over and flinched when it fell off whatever I was currently laying on.

Now awake fully, I sat up and, laying at my feet, was Reid curled up and fast asleep with light snores.

His phone lit up on the coffee table and I briefly looked over, seeing several missed calls from Morgan and JJ. Shit.

"Spencer, Spencer." I whispered and I nudged him with my hands, now kneeling by his head. "Spencer, wake up."

He groaned quietly as he stirred awake but immediately jumped up when I showed him the missed calls on his phone. He took it from my hand and paced to the kitchen to call back whilst I went to my room and got washed and dressed for the day.

Once dressed, I made my way back to the living area where I found Reid hurrying around, collecting his stuff and pulling on and tying up his converse.

He stopped abruptly when I walked in and looked up at me with wide eyes. "Hotch needs me at the station. Apparently Daniel was spotted at the hospital last night." He said before continuing with getting ready.

⚠︎︎⚠︎︎⚠︎︎

3rd person POV

Spencer Reid was soon at the police station and walked in, unknowing to his tie that was loosely around his neck still.

The team was stood waiting for him but talked about the case nonetheless and, when the young Doctor had joined them, they all stopped and faced him.

Morgan was first to take note of Reid's appearance, familiar with the messy look that was a conclusion of the night before. His eyebrows furrowed at the man.

"Reid, where have you been?" Hotch asked him desperately.

"Sorry." Reid apologised quickly, "late night."

Morgan scoffed with a shadow of a smirk. "We can tell." He glanced the Doctor up and down. Reid then looked down at himself, noticing his untucked shirt and loose tie which he soon fixed.

Hotch was almost glaring at the man, already knowing where he had been prior to his arrival. It didn't go unknown to the team where Spencer had been spending the last week or so, they knew he was growing close to Lillia Davis.

"Reid," Hotch said, "a word, please."

Reid followed his boss to the side where the others could hear them but they knew roughly what was about to be said as they gossiped about it among themselves.

Hotch looked down at Spencer. "I understand you wanting to help Dr. Davis, but I advise you not to grow attached. If this all goes sideways, I can't have you being distracted and overcome with your personal emotions for her." He explained, his thick dark eyebrows narrowing.

Reid nodded. "I assure you, Hotch, nothing like that is happening between Davis and myself."

Hotch gave a single nod back. "Good. Let's keep it that way." And the two men rejoined the rest of the team. "Let's continue with the case, we don't have time to waste anymore."

________________________________

A/N: my writing might be a little messy in these next couple of chapter so just bare with me :)