Chapter seventeen//Good Enough

HE HAD COME FROM A SIDE ALLEY and looked adamant to move

HE HAD COME FROM A SIDE ALLEY and looked adamant to move. I slid one of the bags onto my wrist from my hand, sliding my hand to my pocket and subtly pressing the button Hotch had given me. I pressed it multiple times in a hidden panic, trying not to show Daniel I was scared.

It was like facing off with a lion.

Neither of us moved but rather we both stared at each other, neither blinking in fear we might miss the other.

The crowd of the city continued to move past us, not paying any attention to the threatening staring contest.

I don't know how long we stood there like that, but eventually police sirens rang. Daniel looked behind me and stepped back, making me only now realise he had moved closer. Unknown to me as of how, he managed to lose himself in the crowd and escape, police officers rushing over with the BAU team.

"He went that way." Was the first thing I said when they joined me, Morgan, Prentiss and a few officers following the direction I'd sent them in.

I felt a light hand place itself on my back and I looked to my side, seeing Spencer already looking back with kind eyes. On my other side, Hotch was there with his usual threatening stern look.

"Did he say anything to you?" The older man asked and i shook my head with a "no."

Hotch gave a single nod, "let's get back to the station," he looked past me and over to JJ and Reid. "We'll meet Morgan and Prentiss there and we'll be ready if they manage to catch up to Daniel."

JJ tipped her head to the side with an eyebrow raise. "Let's hope so." She said, seeming tired and worn out as she rubbed her forehead with her fingers as we walked to the SUVs.

⚠︎︎⚠︎︎⚠︎︎

Morgan and Prentiss arrived at the station about twenty minutes after, the other police officers following in behind them. Their expressions and shaking heads told us that they had zero luck catching up to Daniel.

"We lost him." Morgan shrugged as the two of them joined us by the desks and board.

"I'm sorry, Lillia." Prentiss looked to me, standing beside JJ.

I shook my head a little. "He'll show up again." I said, although I really didn't want him to show up around me again.

"And we'll be more prepared." Hotch added, "you should all get some rest, we'll pick this up again early tomorrow." He finished, the time now being 7pm and they usually got to the station around 3am.

The others began to depart, collecting their stuff before leaving the station and heading to their hotel.

Spencer walked over to me with his leather satchel across his body and stopping by his hip. "Lillia," he started, speaking rather quietly, "could you walk with me, please?"

I nodded and followed him out of the station, carrying my shopping bags still and pulling my blazer tighter around my body at the cool breeze nipping my skin.

Spencer and I walked in sync beside each other, his left foot meeting the floor at the same time as mine. 

"I got you something." Spencer suddenly spoke but his voice was rather quiet. From his brown satchel, he pulled out a book and held it in two hands as he came to a stop and I copied. "It's by Jen Petro-Roy." He said handing me a book called 'Good Enough'.

Spencer had mentioned the book before and briefly explained what it was about and I had voiced my interest in it. I carefully took the book from his hands, my cold finger brushing over his surprisingly warm ones. I could feel Spencer's eyes on me the entire time whilst I flipped through the pages slowly.

Notes covered the pages in blue and red pen and some phrases and sentences were underlined. I briefly read a couple before closing the book and looking up at Spencer only to meet his eyes immediately.

"Thank you, Spencer."

I looked down at the book again for a moment before looking back up at Spencer, contemplating making a decision which could either go really well or really badly. I followed through with it anyway.

I leaned up, propping myself up higher with my toes only a little bit and I leaned closer to Spencer, placing my lips against his.

For a moment I panicked, thinking i'd fucked up, until his lips moved with mine.

The two of us pulled away for a second after that, simply looking at each other before his hand placed itself against my cheek, his fingers slightly grabbing my hair and pulling it but not hard enough for it to hurt. He placed his lips back to mine and our lips once again moved together, only this time it lasted longer.

My hands went to his chest, still holding the book in one hand. My free hand moved its way up to his face and held his jaw.

The entire thing was blissful and meaningful, needy yet slow and altogether something that felt perfect and meant to be.

Once we'd pulled away from each again, our bodies staying close, Spencer let out a breathy laugh and smoke followed because of the cold air. A small, sweet smile was present on his lips that mirrored the one on mine.

Spencer continued to take me back to my apartment, leaving me outside my door with a final goodbye. As he walked towards the elevator, Spencer gave me one last smile over his shoulder which I returned with a small wave before entering my apartment and locking the door behind before I crashed for the night.

________________________________