Chapter nineteen//Never Alone

IT WAS THURSDAY AND SPENCER HAD INVITED ME OUT FOR A COFFEE

IT WAS THURSDAY AND SPENCER HAD INVITED ME OUT FOR A COFFEE. The two of us sat opposite each other in a small cafe not far from my old apartment, occupying the table in the corner. We'd already ordered what we wanted and were now waiting, talking between ourselves.

I still felt rather down about the BAU maybe having to leave soon, mainly because the case would never really be solved but also because Spencer would be leaving too.

"I finished reading that book you gave me." I told him with a faint smile pulling on my lips.

"It's one of my favourite reads. I've always found it rather deep and intricate." He replied.

I nodded in agreement, fiddling with my fingers on top of the table. "Yeah," I hummed. "It's sad yet sort of beautiful the way it's written."

Spencer's eyes dropped to my fiddling fingers. He reached over with both of his hands and took mine in his, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles.

His finger tips felt nice brushing over my hands, and his eyes looked into mine with a sense of sympathy. I could tell he felt bad about his team not having any other lead on the case but there wasn't much he or any of the others could do.

"If we find anything, I'll tell you." Spencer suddenly but quietly said. I nodded, pulling my hands away from his when the waiter came over with our drinks and food. We both thanked them.

⚠︎︎⚠︎︎⚠︎︎

Spencer and I had parted ways shortly after lunch- he'd been called to the station by Hotch and left hurriedly but told me he'd let me know if anything in the case had changed.

I busied myself the rest of the day until the evening. Some time around six, I had decided on heading back to the apartment with a couple bags of shopping that I needed.

When I arrived, feeling all content and happy about how my day had gone, I was suddenly overwhelmed with a bad gut feeling. Something was off and I could feel it in my stomach.

Cautiously and slowly, I unlocked the door and pushed it open, tiptoeing into the apartment. I placed the bags by the door with nothing but a minuscule rustle coming from them before silently making my way to the kitchen.

I grabbed a knife from the drawer and held it firmly, staying put in the kitchen with the weapon in front of me.

Thuds, that were barley audible, came from my bedroom and the sound of my drawers followed.

My heart was pounding against my chest and my hand became sweaty around the handle of the knife, making me tighten my hold around it.

Making my soul leave my body, the phone started ringing. I muttered profanities under my breath as I rushed to stop it. Thankfully, it was on the counter top in front of me.

I answered it, hoping that it would be Spencer or perhaps Emily, or anyone else from the BAU.

"Hello?" I just about whispered.

"Hi, I'm officer Scott. I'm calling about your apartment. Is this Miss Lillia Davis?"

"Yes."

"Great. You're apartment will be cleared out by Monday and then you're welcome back to it." The officer's voice was chipper and the complete opposite to how I was currently feeling.

My breathing was heavy, heavy enough for Officer Scott to hear through the phone.

"Ma'am?" They queried, their voice now sounding less chipper. "Ma'am,are you okay?"

"I think there's someone in my apartment." I spoke so quietly I couldn't hear myself. I pressed the button that Hotch had given me, pressing it multiple times in a panicked state.

"Hotch!" Morgan's voice called in the background. It was then followed by another call and then rushed footsteps. The rest of the team were speaking in the background but I couldn't quite make out what they were saying but I could tell they sounded worried.

"Ma'am stay put, we've got agents coming to you now." Officer Scott spoke quickly. "Can you tell me where in your apartment this person is?"

"My bedroom."

There was a couple more voices, a lot closer to the phone than they had been before and then another person spoke over the phone.

"Lillia," Prentiss spoke, "Can you confirm it to be Daniel?"

I shook my head despite the fact she couldn't see it. "No, but it's someone, Emily." My voice was shakey as I spoke and wavered between whispers and regular speaking.

"It's okay, Lillia. We're on our way, stay on the call." She told me before the phone was handed back to Officer Scott who then continued to talk to me and check up on me but I slowly began to block it out as my focus all lay onto the sounds from my bedroom.

The thuds had long stopped and my drawers were no longer making a noise. A couple creaks came from the floorboards but, other than that, there was nothing. No noise anymore.

I didn't dare loosen my hold on the knife or lower it even slightly, if anything I tightened my grip. Although, the phone slipped from my hold and clattered to the floor, Officer Scott's voice muffled now.

From where I stood, I had a clear view of my bedroom door so, if anyone was to leave it, I'd be facing off with them immediately.

Just then, the door was opened and the knob turned, a small crack appearing between the door itself and the door frame around it.

My bedroom light was off but I was still able to make out a pair of beady eyes staring directly at me. The white of their eyes highlighted the iris but the rest of them was invisible, hidden in the darkness.

Their breathing was heavy, very heavy much like mine. However, their breathing was more controlled, my breathing was heavy out of pure fear s my hands trembled around the weapon and tears fought hard not to fall from my eyes as my legs grew weak under me.

The door was opened even further and their hand reached out of it, digging their nails into the white door frame which chipped the paint slightly.

I could feel my heart beat in parts of my body that I shouldn't like my ears, my head, I could even feel it rising in my throat.

Daniel left the bedroom, the door now wide open, and he stalked towards me with his back slightly hunched, a twitch in his eyes and his head randomly jolted to the side as he muttered words to himself under his breath. He looked distressed, scared perhaps.

The knife clattered the the ground, a muffled scream leaving my mouth as Daniel's hand pressed against it.

I managed to chomp my teeth down onto his dirty flesh, causing him to pull back and check his hand. This gave me time to grab the knife off the floor and duck under him into the living area.

He didn't take long to recover and he was soon nearing me again. I swiped the knife across his torso but not to stab him, simply just to slice, to give me time to get out but he was taller than me, stronger and it wasn't difficult for him to overpower me, his hand over my mouth again and, next thing, all I saw was black.

________________________________