Persephone

Persephone

Chapter 11

      Adonis had grown up in my home and I had loved him as much as I had my two daughters. Even Hades had came to love the boy and trained him in many different skills he would need as a man. He made me so proud everyday, with his manners, his intelligence and the love that he was so capable of feeling. We all knew that mortals could love but the feelings were not equal to the way Gods felt it, any emotion actually, the Gods would feel it stronger than a mortal. But I believe Adonis was the exception. I often found myself forgetting that he actually was mortal man. He may have been born to a mortal but had the soul of a God and I know that he was destined to reside with us.
      The air was sweet and unusually cold as I sat on the balcony, over looking the courtyard in which Adonis was in below. He stood with his back to me, legs apart, back straight with an bow and arrow ready to strike. Looking at him like this I knew he was no longer a boy, but a man. An exquisitely trained hunter. The arrow flew across the courtyard stealthily and hit the target square on. I stood and applauded him, he turned to me and gave a little bow. Even from this distance his eyes were astounding. The door behind me clicked open and two of the palace nymphs entered. “Pardon me, Aphrodite has just arrived. She awaits for you and Adonis.”, one of the girls informed me.
      Aphrodite stood at the bottom of the stairs looking up at me. When I saw her there I began to worry, the only time she had came here before was 16 years ago. When she had brought Adonis to me. Why would she come now? “Persephone”. She pronounced my name so sultry and gave a respectful bow.
“Aphrodite. Welcome once again”.
“Thank you kindly Persephone. I am here for Adonis.”
“For Adonis? He requested that you visit?”, I asked her with a sickening growing in the pit of my stomach. She let a giggle slip from her lips and smiled at me. My worry steadily grew and I knew she had come to take Adonis. My boy. “No, he did not. But he would be a man now and it is time that he returned to his home, with me.” she said coolly. My panic turned to anger and I was intend on getting her away from here, away from Adonis.
      No sooner I had thought of keeping her away from Adonis, he had walked in, accompanied by one of the nymphs who had came to fetch me. His eyes locked on Aphrodite, he stopped, as though stricken by some sort of spell. I turned to Aphrodite to command her to leave, but she too stood as if spellbound. “Adonis”, she whispered in disbelief. “Do you know me Miss?”.
“I do”, she sighed. Already I could feel him slipping away from me.
“You are the great Goddess Aphrodite. You’re the one that saved me”.
“Leave now”, I commanded Aphrodite. She made no move but Adonis looked to me. “Come Adonis”, I told him.
“I have come to take you back home with me Adonis”, she spoke, taking his full attention away from me. “No!”, I screamed. “You cannot take him from me. He is my son. Just a boy, leave him.”, I begged. I knew she could take him, she could take any man she claimed. All I could do was fall to my knees and sob.

*****

      The sounds of the quarrelling Goddesses drifted in the air from the Underworld, up to the Earth. The ground quaked, the trees thrashed and the clouds darkened, spitting out pellets of ice rain. The air carried the sounds right up to Mount Olympus, were Zeus sat on his throne and heard the screams of the two women.

*****

      “Silence!”, a strong voice roared. We both instantly stopped our screaming at each other. All of us, myself, Aphrodite, Adonis, Hecate and the two nymphs that were in the hall all turned to look at him. He stood in the doorway, flanked by Hermes and Charon. His very presence demanded respect, everyone, bar Aphrodite and myself, bowed their head low. “What is this?”. He asked, looking between us both. None of us spoke. The only sound I could hear was the pounding of my heart. Adonis stood from beside me and stepped forward, causing my heart to beat faster and harder. “I believe I caused this”, he said loud and brave. Zeus looked at him quizzically. “You caused this?” he mused, “You are man are you not?”, it was a statement rather than a question. “I am”, said Adonis. Zeus then turned his attention to me. “Why is this boy in your realm Persephone?”.
“He is my son”, I told him between sobs.
“You claim this mortal is your child?”, he asked.
“He is not your son!” Aphrodite screamed out.
“Aphrodite, what business do you have with this child?”.
“I caused his birth, I saved him from death when he was born an orphan and brought him to Persephone to take care of him, until he was old enough to take care of himself and could return to Earth. Now, as he is 16 I came for him and will guild him on Earth”, she told Zeus. He nodded and thought for a while then walked to Adonis. He towered above him, making Adonis look nothing more than an infant. “It is highly irregular that a mortal would find himself in the Underworld. Your rightful place is on Earth”, he then looked to me then back to Adonis, “how do you find living here?”.
“Well it is home. Persephone has been a loving mother to me, I couldn’t have asked for a better mother”, Adonis said as he looked at me and smile, “it is all I have ever known, as of yet”, on those last words he turned to Aphrodite. She blushed and smiled back at him. I could feel the warm bubble of anger start to rise within me again. I fought hard to keep from losing control. I could tell where this conversation was going and it made me sick. “So, if you were given an option, would you stay here with Persephone, or return to Earth with Aphrodite?”, Zeus asked Adonis. I knew the answer before he said it himself. He looked again to Aphrodite as he answered, “I think I should return to Earth and live as man”. The words sounded fuzzy but I heard them. A scream escaped my lips and I couldn’t seem to stop the ground moving from underneath my feet. A warm hand touched my shoulder and I looking up I found Adonis’ emerald green eyes, large and tear filled looking down at me. He came down to my level and spoke softly to me, “I will always think of you mother. I just don’t belong here, not yet”.
“Persephone, I can see this boy is dear to you and I rule that he shall spend four months of a year here with you. Aphrodite, you will take the boy to Earth now where he shall spend four months, he can choose whom he spends the rest of the year with”> The words brought little relief to me, he would be here with me, but his heart would be with her. This was my child, and I had lost him.