Persephone

Persephone

Chapter 4

    Time is meaningless in this place, there is nothing to distinguish night from day. I do not leave this room, afraid of whom or what I may discover beyond its doors.
“Persephone..? I have seen your mother”. I jumped round in freight to see that Hades at silently entered the room. My heart ached with the mention of her. I ran to him and asked, “tell me how she is. Is she well? May I see her?”
“She is well, she sends her blessings to you. Actually she sent me with a gift for you”. He produced a pomegranate from an inside pocket. My mouth watered at the very site of it, I hadn’t eaten anything at all since I had arrived her. Not that I wasn’t offered, a steady stream of very appetising food came my way but I knew if I ate even one thing then I wasn’t going to get out of here. The pomegranate looked just like the ones my mother grew herself in Olympus, and of course, she grew them just for me. I took it from him eagerly. This was my mothers idea of a wedding gift? She had actually approved of a marriage to Hades? So this was to be my life from now on…
“Take all the time you need my love” said Hades as he bent to kiss my forehead, “we have eternity”. I felt weak inside and hugged the fruit close to my heart. I slowly took a piece of the fruit and the taste drove my taste buds wild.
    I must have fallen asleep for I woke to the sound of chapping at my window. I still held the pomegranate in my hand, setting it down on the bedside table I creeped over to the window. Again a tap. “Who is there?” I whispered .
“Persephone? It is me, Hecate.”, a voice whispered back. I quickly pulled back the curtain to see a cloaked figure me. I stumbled back, almost falling over. The figure raised her head, enough for me to see the face of a young woman with deep green eyes. She motioned with her hand for me to go to her, I vaguely recognised her face. I dashed back to the window and with a lot of effort I got it open. “Quick Persephone, before I am seen. Come with me”, she told me. It was then that I noticed she seemed to be standing on top of a round sort of boat, crimson red, which levitated of its own accord apparently.
“Where are you to take me?” I whispered to her.
“I am to take you to your mother”, she smiled. Without hesitation I climbed out of the window.
    I sat with a cloak draped over me, keeping as low down as I possibly could to avoid being seen and to keep me from seeing the awful land that surrounded me. The boat moved along with a smooth steady motion through the sky. We made no attempt at conversation, but just her presence comforted me. After what seemed like hours I could see a light up ahead. “You will soon be home”, said Hecate, turning and smiling at me.
“How did you get here? I mean, I thought Hermes was the only one who could pass through the Underworld?” I had to ask.
“I am the Witch Goddess. I can create roads where there were none before. I can travel freely between the Havens, the Earth and the Underworld. I offered my assistance to your mother, I am less likely to be noticed taking you away than Hermes as I reside here, in the Underworld”. I sat there stunned for a moment wondering why anyone would freely make this their home.
    We found ourselves drifting into a cave-like tunnel, with fire torches dotted around, lighting our way. Time passed until finally I saw an opening up ahead. In the entrance stood a man. “Hermes!”, I called to him. The boat came to a slow stop and Hecate climbed out, turning to help me out. She held my hand and we both ran to him. “Demeter thanks you a thousand times Hecate”, said Hermes.
“I serve the Gods and Goddess’ in every way I can sir Hermes”, she said solemnly. I turned round to thank her myself but she surprised me by taking me in an embrace. “There are no words. I am forever in your debt Hecate”, I whispered in her ear.
“We should go now Persephone, your mother awaits”. Hermes interrupted us.
    The journey to Mount Olympus felt like days, when it was probably hours. We stood at the Golden Gates, the place looked so much more breathtaking since I saw it last. I rushed through the gates and straight for my mother, who I found right away, sitting in her place in the council hall. “Mother!” I cried, running to her.
“My sweet dear child! You returned to me!” she held me tight as we both shook with sobs.

Persephoneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें