Prologue

Prologue

Things had not been going well in the Swan household. It had been that way ever since the twins Isabella and Imogen had been born prematurely. Bella had been fine but Imogen had been a sickly baby. Having trouble holding down milk which caused her to rapidly lose weight she couldn't afford to lose. She had been born with Benign Microcephaly (which meant her brain and skull were smaller than they should be, but it wasn't drastically noticeable), and Reflux which was what was stopping her from holding down her milk. But all this wasn't the cause for the tension; it was Renee's reckless behaviour. She wanted them to leave Forks and go somewhere more entertaining, despite Charlie wanting to stay in Forks so his elderly parents could know his daughters, which however, seemed to be the wrong decision. At least according to Renee.

Finally, all of the built up tension came to a head now that the twins were three months old.
"No! I will not let you take both my daughters away from me Renee!" Charlie shouted, storming after his wife who had just thrust divorce papers at him as he was washing up from the dinner she cooked.
"Well, if I don't get out now. I'm going to be stuck in this god awful town! And die of boredom!" Renee snapped, slipping on her coat.
"I said no!" Charlie said angry, upset and frustrated.
"Fine! You can keep her." Renee snapped, thrusting the car seat holding their tiny Imogen. She was completely different to Bella. Imogen had Charlie's mother, Helen's, blonde hair and Renee's blue eyes. Whereas, Bella had dark brown hair and brown eyes.

Charlie quickly caught the car seat his ex-wife thrust at him soothing his startled daughter as he watched Renee leave with Bella, not even looking back to say goodbye to their other daughter or let him say goodbye to Isabella. That was another difference in the twins; Imogen favoured her Dad and Isabella favoured her Mum.
"Looks like it's you and me now, Princess." Charlie said softly, gently taking his daughter out of the car seat and held her on his shoulder humming to her to get Imogen back off to sleep.

***

As the years passed Charlie was almost scared to death one day when Imogen was just over a year old. She was sick and had a fever, with a high temperature but that wasn't what scared the Deputy Chief of Police. No, it was the fact that his precious daughter was having a seizure. Quickly he got out his phone and fearfully called 911, thankful that dispatch was sending an ambulance over straight away. He tried to call Renee and let her know countless times and left several messages but she never returned any of his calls, just like how she never sent a present to their little girl like he did for Isabella.

They were rushed to the hospital as the ambulance crew didn't know what was wrong, which worried Charlie more. Once they'd reached the hospital numerous tests were performed on Imogen, even keeping her overnight, with Charlie never leaving her side. But they never found the cause; once her temperature went down it stopped, completely baffling everyone. Over the years, it happened every time that Imogen had a temperature and as she hit her teens she started to get chronic migraines that left her laying in the dark in her room and throwing up when it was really bad. Despite all her health issues, and lack of her mother and older twin sister (who would always bully her when she visited them), Imogen was a rather happy and bubbly girl and was the Sunshine in her father's life.

***

As the summer came to an end fourteen nearly fifteen year old Imogen Swan was getting ready to start her Freshman year with her best friend Ella Núñez, they had been best friends since kindergarten and had just made the cheerleading team, the Head cheerleader Savannah Smith always holds them exactly two days before school starts and they were finally old enough to join the team and they got on it.
"I'm surprised they didn't eat you alive when you made that suggestion." Ella teased her best friend, as they left the school. Planning to walk home to Imogen's house where Ella would be picked up by her mother.
"So did I at first." Imogen giggled. "But they agreed that's what was going wrong so.." she shrugged her shoulders, only to pause as a large spike hit her like a freight train.
"Are you okay Immy?" Ella asked concerned, noticing the stranger she'd grasped on to to stop herself from falling.

He had curly blonde hair to his shoulders, golden eyes and a concerned look on his face as he had his other arm hovering behind Imogen. Ella supposed this was the new family as no one else was supposed to be at the school and gathered he was with his siblings and parents, maybe? They were obviously registering before school started in two days.
"Migraine?" Ella asked, when Imogen winced letting out a small whimper as she held her head. "They're getting worse. Why can't the hospital do something!" Ella shouted frustrated, concerned for her best friend.
"Are you okay, Ma'am?" Jasper asked, concerned, gently taking the pain away from his mate. He subtly gave his siblings a glare at how cautiously they were watching him (Edward more than the others).

They all knew thanks to Alice's visions Imogen was his mate and a mate never smelled attractive to a vampire, at least the scent of her blood never, instead she smelled like pine, coconut and Shea butter to him.
"I'm okay thank you. Sorry migraine." Imogen apologised.
"It's okay. As long as you're all right. I'm Jasper Hale." Jasper introduced, holding out his hand.
"Imogen Swan." Imogen returned, slipping her hand into his but blushed when he brought it up to his lips.
"Pleasures all mine." Jasper said with a smirk. "I hope you get help with the migraines." He added, with a subtle glance at Carlisle.
"Thank you. They're trying to get funding for this new injection." Imogen said with a shrug. "Looks like your family's waiting for you. I'll see you around Jasper."
"Yes, you will." Jasper said with a promising grin, as the two parted ways.

Thank you to Arcstark  for the amazing banners

Thank you to Arcstark for the amazing banners.